AKG K1000 replacement drivers

Chimpie

Hi guys,

I've got an AKG K1000 at Alex. I bought it second hand from HeadFi, but unfortunatelt one of the drivers is not working properly. So I'll need to find a new pair of drivers! Any idea whether AKG can still provide them? I've tried mailing them, no response yet. I'll give them a call later this week, but if you guys can confirm they don't have it in stock anymore, I won't bother and save the telephone costs (I live in the Netherlands).

One other guy at AKG told me I would need new printed boards as well, if I own an older system. Anyone heard about this??

Thanks for the help, guys!

PS: Talked to Craig and he's working on a hybrid class a amp for the K1000. He says it'll outperform the FirstWatt F1!!

For all, who need some spare parts, try this company in Germany, I bought K1000 and K340 drivers/parts from them, great service, ladys name Evelyn Nagy, mail: [email protected]

If one driver is dead, you need 2 new matched and not one to complete your K1000. Actually you can send your K1000 and they will repair for you, did it as well.

rw soundsystem

Breslauer Str. 8

74613 Ohringen

Tel 07941 64779 0

Fax 07941 64779 19

[email protected]

[url=http://www.rw-soundsystem.de]rw soundsystem - die profis f

• 1 year later...
yay......... the F1 wasn't even meant to drive dynamic drivers, so actually making an amp that was designed to do this would be a huge improvement.

You lost me here what was it made to drive, stats?

It is well suited to sensitive full-range drivers such as Lowther or Fostex, and allows easy use of parallel loading networks to tailor the driver response.
- from FistWatt site.

Maybe Fitz will join in here. He has my K1000 ATM for a re-cable, and I'm sure he has an idea how to replace the locking lever.

I've never needed to replace them, as mine work fine and nobody has ever asked me to do it while performing other repairs, but I can look at it on yours to note the process if you want. Perhaps I could also go ahead and make that video on the disassembly/reassembly of the grilles that I've been meaning to do, as well. Actually I have a lot of AKG service videos I've been wanting to make, dunno when I'm ever gonna get around to it.

I'm hoping to finally get your K1000 done this weekend. We hardly had anything going on at work before, but now all of a sudden lately it's gotten crazy busy.

You lost me here what was it made to drive, stats?

- from FistWatt site.

perhaps traditional dynamic drivers would have been better. You looked at the right page though, the explanation is right about the paragraph you excised:

"It is a power trans-conductance amplifier (or power current source, if you like), replicating an input voltage into an output current. A regular amplifier sends output voltage to the loudspeaker. This is not that kind of amplifier.

This amplifier ignores the elements in series with the load circuit, including back-emf, wire resistance, inductance and such, and creates voice coil acceleration in direct proportion to the input signal."

Has anyone here heard (or considered the upgrades) the F1J?

perhaps traditional dynamic drivers would have been better. You looked at the right page though, the explanation is right about the paragraph you excised:

"It is a power trans-conductance amplifier (or power current source, if you like), replicating an input voltage into an output current. A regular amplifier sends output voltage to the loudspeaker. This is not that kind of amplifier.

This amplifier ignores the elements in series with the load circuit, including back-emf, wire resistance, inductance and such, and creates voice coil acceleration in direct proportion to the input signal."

Has anyone here heard (or considered the upgrades) the F1J?

You know I read this as well :D but you like to post these categorical sarcastic one-liners that just sound wrong....

I heard it with Fostex TL speakers and it sounds awesome, but I on't know how it would sound with K1000. On the other hand if you hook it up to orthodynamic headphones I bet it will be great.

On the K1000 the F1 is not a current source, output impedance is only 80 ohms vs. the 120 ohms driver (and that's what, at 1kHz or something? the impedance at high frequencies being even greater). There seems to be more than a few headphone amps with (sometimes switchable) high output impedances like the looooooong amp and Silver Ghost. Can't say I'm a fan of the sound, but maybe I'm just not used to it.