Buffalo32S DAC

morphsci

I think in the DiyAudio Thread the chips main designer went in to further detail about the architecture, if i remember correctly it basicaly upsamples to 352,8kHz but, i also think i'm missing something,i posted to say there was information about it on the DIYAudio thread though :P

that was the 9008 chip and not the newer one though

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Long story short you can get it in PCM for sure. DSD I wish you the best of luck.

My comment was in no way derogatory, just to make sure everyone is on the same page. I'm not sure I could have had the quality of responses in most other forums. I have not given up yet, but if high resolution PCM is all I can get, I'll suffer with that. :D

My comment was in no way derogatory, just to make sure everyone is on the same page. I'm not sure I could have had the quality of responses in most other forums. I have not given up yet, but if high resolution PCM is all I can get, I'll suffer with that. :D

Sorry if I came off upset. It has been a long day at work. I'm not upset at all and I understood what you were saying. That's why I'm up to nearly more posts here than HF and I've been a member here less than a third as long.

In the end what AlanY said about delta-sigma DACs being DSD is basically true but there are some details different that lead to PCM like noise performance vs DSD noise performance. With a delta sigma DAC the difference is in the output filter and the digital/filtering setup before hand.

Edited by Dreadhead

OK. We have a deal. A pixied-out DAC is comming my way!

screw maxing..

In actuality I'm going to have a Weiss DAC2 sent my way after the guy at Vintage King said it was as good as the DAC1/Prism/Lavry Gold for a lot less money.

$3K is less?

If I wanted to configure this DAC for USB input, would I need to buy a USB receiver module as well? Or would this be a step backwards?

You could get a transit ($55-80) for 24/96 or HagUSB ($70) for 16/48 resolution to convert to Toslink or Coaxial from USB and use Coaxial for free or the $18 TPA toslink module. HagUSB, you can buy the kit to save money and install it internally as a receiver module as well. The transit is roughly the same price or lower as the TPA USB module and does higher resolution (may not be as good as a receiver though), so its up to you. The TPA USB module can output straight i2s on the other hand and will save about $10-30 after you calculate cost of extra connectors or modules involved. Toslink or coaxial seems very important to me if you even want to move away from a purely computer based system in the future and the 24/192 receiver chips for the modules are now OOP, coaxial input is free and Toslink is only $20. I probably wouldn't bother with USB at all if I had a desktop based system, I'd just get a sound card with spdif or i2s out. Not using USB as a transport would give you the option to use many more DACs with your computer setup as well.

Soon (by June) I should be able to find out which option I prefer between the transit or TPA USB module.

I wonder if the Twisted Pear guys would consider going full time with the business? Seems like there's a lot of demand for their products, and going full time might help them keep some of the other boards in stock.

Unlikely, I doubt there's enough there to turn it into a full time business. There's a reason that you don't see 100 operations like this. It's not because there aren't talented people to do it, it's a cut-throat, low-margin, compete with China electronics world. Ask yourself, would you still buy their kits and boards if the prices were 3 to 4x what they are now? Cause that's what it'd take to make it profitable enough to go full time.