Buffalo32S DAC

morphsci

If I wanted to configure this DAC for USB input, would I need to buy a USB receiver module as well?

Yes. As manoax2 said there are other options, but the option of direct USB input is universal; good for resale.

Or would this be a step backwards?

I don't see why. Computer as source sometimes gets a bum rap...... but with good software, drivers, lossless music etc etc on a fast computer, there is no reason why it shouldn't be a very good option.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It can do 24/96 through the optical out.

Using it right now with some HDTracks.com 24/96 and ASIO to y1. It only needs to have its driver installed, line/optical input disabled (important for 24/96), and then ASIO setup and selected for it in foobar and its all set. Working great so far. Its also almost the exact size without the beveled corners as the y1.

Using it right now with some HDTracks.com 24/96 and ASIO to y1. It only needs to have its driver installed, line/optical input disabled (important for 24/96), and then ASIO setup and selected for it in foobar and its all set. Working great so far. Its also almost the exact size without the beveled corners as the y1.

With Foobar2000 you don't even need ASIO, you can select "M-Audio Transit" in the output menu and you automatically get bit perfect (tested with the DTS pass through track to a receiver).

You could get a transit ($55-80) for 24/96 or HagUSB ($70) for 16/48 resolution to convert to Toslink or Coaxial from USB and use Coaxial for free or the $18 TPA toslink module. HagUSB, you can buy the kit to save money and install it internally as a receiver module as well. The transit is roughly the same price or lower as the TPA USB module and does higher resolution (may not be as good as a receiver though), so its up to you. The TPA USB module can output straight i2s on the other hand and will save about $10-30 after you calculate cost of extra connectors or modules involved. Toslink or coaxial seems very important to me if you even want to move away from a purely computer based system in the future and the 24/192 receiver chips for the modules are now OOP, coaxial input is free and Toslink is only $20. I probably wouldn't bother with USB at all if I had a desktop based system, I'd just get a sound card with spdif or i2s out. Not using USB as a transport would give you the option to use many more DACs with your computer setup as well.

Soon (by June) I should be able to find out which option I prefer between the transit or TPA USB module.

Thanks Manaox2 (and Beefy) for the detailed info.

I'll be interested to hear which you prefer.

One issue to be aware of with the transit and many other of these devices is that if you are in a mode that puts out 96 then you can't directly send it 44.1 (using ASIO or WSAPI) and have to use an up sampler or let windows do it with DirectX (which apparently is a pretty good resampler). If you're doing Foobar I would recommend the SoX resampler that I have posted about before.

One issue to be aware of with the transit and many other of these devices is that if you are in a mode that puts out 96 then you can't directly send it 44.1 (using ASIO or WSAPI) and have to use an up sampler or let windows do it with DirectX (which apparently is a pretty good resampler). If you're doing Foobar I would recommend the SoX resampler that I have posted about before.

With the Transit you select between the various sample rates in the software menu.

untiatled2.jpg

I would never bother with foobar's software resampling. I have a direct quick link to the control applet located in the program file's m-audio folder. Whenever I am going to play tracks higher then sixteen bits, I just stop my music in foobar, disable the input in the applet, and push play again. Not too big of a hassle considering that it takes less then three seconds to make those four clicks. I just don't have enough tracks over 16/48 to worry about it (only three albums from HDTracks).

I also don't have anything like the picture above available. I guess I need to get the older drivers.