My cat killed the Easter

pabbi1

I went out to the mailbox today, and heard a little rustling in the bushes next to the house. Knew immediately, and visually verified it was Momma Rabbit, who is a regular in the hood. I see her out grazing every night, and it makes for a country feel in the middle of Dallas... along with the squirrels, hawks (that love squirrels and rabbits), and the occasional bobcat, who loves anything furry, including household pets.

Well, I step into the bushes trying to get Momma to move along, but, I think the babies were close by, and, perhaps her burrow (or one of) is next to my house - haven't yet checked.

So, Raoul, http://home.swbell.net/pabbi/Raoul1c.jpg, goes out late afternoon, as is his usual. About 30 minutes later we hear a cry - definitely a baby in total distress, just not sure immediately what it was. I was hoping it was one of my other animals caught in a closet.

Not so much.

Nope, the action was at my front door, where the mighty hunter deposited his trophy - and awaited his praise, which was NOT forthcoming. So, the result - 50,000 years of domestic cat DNA meets small furry.

The Easter Bunny is dead.

Do NOT chase the link unless you demand picture.

http://home.swbell.net/pabbi/ebunny.jpg

I has a sad.

you could just make your cat an indoor cat.

I have two indoor cats, but he can jump my 8' fence in the back yard, where my other two can't. I try that every time this happens (3x a year), but he kills 10x the # in rats, as we have a power easement behind the house, so, bad and good.

Regarding consumption, the dastardly act happened on the mat in front of the door - guessing he dumped the head, rather than consuming, but it was more like the fore legs and forward, though I have watched him consume baby rats (3" body) whole.

Watching the more cruel things on animal planet (orcas after a sperm whale and her calf, or the baby hippo being eliminated by his uncle) help put this in perspective, but I wish he would somehow be uninterested in rabbits. Good thing the baby squirrels can bite.

I went out to the mailbox today, and heard a little rustling in the bushes next to the house. Knew immediately, and visually verified it was Momma Rabbit, who is a regular in the hood. I see her out grazing every night, and it makes for a country feel in the middle of Dallas... along with the squirrels, hawks (that love squirrels and rabbits), and the occasional bobcat, who loves anything furry, including household pets.

Well, I step into the bushes trying to get Momma to move along, but, I think the babies were close by, and, perhaps her burrow (or one of) is next to my house - haven't yet checked.

So, Raoul, http://home.swbell.net/pabbi/Raoul1c.jpg, goes out late afternoon, as is his usual. About 30 minutes later we hear a cry - definitely a baby in total distress, just not sure immediately what it was. I was hoping it was one of my other animals caught in a closet.

Not so much.

Nope, the action was at my front door, where the mighty hunter deposited his trophy - and awaited his praise, which was NOT forthcoming. So, the result - 50,000 years of domestic cat DNA meets small furry.

The Easter Bunny is dead.

Do NOT chase the link unless you demand picture.

http://home.swbell.net/pabbi/ebunny.jpg

I has a sad.

That is very dead. Kinda wishing I hadn't looked.