DIY Mini Meet in Austin

swt61

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I having the technical knowledge of a dead mouse, I can only be envious of such a meet. Looks like you had fun, and am looking forward to impressions and more pics.

I dunno about impressions at this meet. Steve was impressed by the current FOTM-ness of short skirts... other than that, I don't remember many. Your avatar did come up though, as well as a HD800 sighting...

heh, yeah it works just fine, but I had to fine tune a few parts to also support all the way down to the low bias phones. No need to cut traces, etc. though :) I looked at my original prototype and the values were right there... RTFM :(

Fired up Als and it was at like 1050 V or something and I was worried my meager 1kV meter was going to go before I had time to grab the trimmer and stop turning.. Obviously, I couldn't just turn it off, way less exciting that way.

:jbl:

I had no idea the F5 was so huge :o

I suppose you didn't see my F4 in the other pictures. In fact, Steve's build is very compact. The boards are very small.. It's just the caps and toroid that are large. I think it's quite the nice size actually.

There's a good bit of capacitance there, but otherwise it's about right ;) I too was a bit surprised at how large it really needs to be when I looked into building one.

148,000uF is about the minimum here, given the current demands of the circuit and the fact that it's just a simple CRC supply.

well, Steve I got one channel up and simmering now. Probably have 1-2 hour wait until I'm happy with the bias. I'm right at 1.3A on this side and will probably push it a bit more.

I have a 1 ohm test load waiting and willing to make this thing sweat, plus this is the only way Spritzer's ears will perk up :)

As usual, my ignorance was showing :palm: and you were right luvdunhill. How toasty is the heatsink at 1.3amps running thru it?

not too bad. I can hold indefinitely one of the fins that is right over one of the output devices. I'll track down my thermocouple. I'm probably going to leave it this way, because A.) Steve is planning for this to primarily power the K1000 (I have no idea what the impedance of these things drops down to, but it cannot be too low) and B.) those trim pots are impossible to get to, so I have the heat sink tipped up on it's side, which hinders convection and I'll probably need to readjust later anyways.

The variac came in very handy. I was able to adjust the output of the unregulated CRC supply to the nominal +-24V, which wouldn't have been possible otherwise since I'm only running a single channel at the moment.

Holy crap!!! Has anybody ever tried using the F5 to drive a reactive load such as a Quad ESL?

I'd like to submit my application for funding for this research. Onthingaudio will want the cheque within the month. :cool:

• 4 months later...