DIY Mini Meet in Austin

swt61

Pabbi1 and myself were graciously hosted by luvdunhill, wife and family for an overnight DIYfest in Austin this weekend. Great food, great fun and even a little bit of DIY work thrown in for good measure.

My project was the Pass F5 I'm building. I had yet to wire the boards and run the initial fire up, which I wasn't comfortable doing without an experienced DIYer present.

Marc was tugged back and forth between Al's project and mine, without complaint one. He didn't even attemp to work on his own extensive list of extremely eye catching projects, choosing instead to devote his time to us. For that and the great hospitality by the entire luvdunhill family (yes the children are tobacco officianados too) a big, big thank you from me!

Al and were put up in high fashion in the living room, where Al challenged me to a snorring contest. If there's any doubt as to the victor, please note the extensive baggage under Al's eyes the next day. While I myself look as fresh as a daisy, and ready for runway modeling for Calvin Cline. :P

F5 close to initial power up.

minidiymeet001816x612.jpg

Part of Al's tasty project.

minidiymeet002816x612.jpg

A real guys estrogen free zone (graciously allowed by Mrs. Luvdunhill) :P

minidiymeet003816x612.jpg

Oh my! It seems my photography is on par with my DIY skills. Sorry for the blurry pics.

minidiymeet004816x612.jpg

minidiymeet005816x612.jpg

minidiymeet006816x612.jpg

minidiymeet007816x612.jpg

minidiymeet008816x612.jpg

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You really do suck at taking pics. :D Hidden in that blurry mess is a version of the BH similar to the BHSE, uber bias supply, the new electrostatic amp Marc has designed and even my old Sony ECR-400's fitted with SFI drivers. It's times like this when I wish there was a direct flight from Iceland to Texas... :(

The blurryness was actually intended to somewhat mask the incredible projects Marc has laying around in various states of completion, and thereby promote a sense of intrigue and wonder.

I guess that didn't convey well across the net however. dunno.gif

Is that Shogi or Go (or both) in the last pic?

yup, indeed it is.

I figured that was just the massive amount of heat generated from all the various projects we fired up, not blurry pics.

This weekend once again made me realize how much cash I could save in buying fuses if I actually purchased a variac ...

Looking on eBay now for a geiger counter... when we have the hd800, maybe we'll do two full days - listening and building.

Gracias to Marc and his charming wife (and the next generation of DIY) for tolerating such an event... and, Marc has to be the most overbooked guy in DIY, if not the most technically challenged - him choosing challenge, as opposed to me being challenged by electrical idiocy.

Oh, and not to just consider current projects - nexGen talk is never far behind. DIY is not a destination, but mercury vapor tubes are in my near-distant future.

backagain.jpg

there1.jpg

yup, indeed it is.

I figured that was just the massive amount of heat generated from all the various projects we fired up, not blurry pics.

This weekend once again made me realize how much cash I could save in buying fuses if I actually purchased a variac ...

Hehe. Very nice of you to host this Marc, and nice of all to share.

Me=jealous. I haven't played Shogi in almost 20 years, since I've moved to US.

yeah, I played both a lot before really getting into DIY. Now, I don't have time. I'm probably at an average strength in Japan, i.e. can comfortably play in clubs with a proper handicap, well at least ~3 years ago I could... when I was in China over Christmas I was at the same strength as the weakest person in one of the nicer clubs in Beijing, after not playing for quite some time. Well, the story goes, I made a really stupid rationalization in my head. I knew I couldn't get any stronger at ether game without devoting a lot of time, and probably taking lessons from a pro. I figured instead, I'd pick up a hobby (audio) that took money, instead of time. That line of thought was total fail it turns out, once I got into DIY.

Anyways, do we need a Shogi-Case thread? If so, 1.P-2f ...

Steve, looking at bolts for my awesome front panels. I've found chrome carriage bolts, as well as these bolt covers for a standard hex bolt :)

bolt-cover-skull-large.jpg

anything else "dressy" that I should look at?

I've not seen those before. The chrome carriage bolt might look good with your power switch. A stainless allen head bolt would also look good.

I'm jealous guys, must be a blast to get together and DIY like that. And that amp is looking sweet Steve.

Thanks Nate, It's been a lot of fun to build. With Marc as support it won't be my last project. And yeah, The DIYfest is definitely a fun way to build!

Here's the faceplate...

minidiymeet0011077x808.jpg

Man those caps on the F5 build are gigantic. :eek: Did you manage to get it powered up?

And that's a lot of projects to have going... how do you manage to even go to work everyday instead of working on them? :P

We did power it up, but it blew fuses immediately. I left the amp with Marc, and he thinks he's found the issue.

DIY Jam would be as good as it gets... THAT would certainly trim down the riff-raff... or, is that limit it to said? Either way, needs me some (more) of that...

Synopsis: Electrostat, f5, dovetail, tube tester, Tascam, Smith & Wesson 4422, router, Frys, Tex-Mex, 6th Street, Speakeasy, tequila / vodka, (000s of) girls in short skirts, *snorefest, toons, pancakes, Frys (x2), RatShack, solder, donkey shows, pedophilia, IR sensor, balanced / dual mono / dual stereo, hd600 / k1000 / hd580, 3a fuses, sushi, Woodcraft, Happy Trails, DPS, thunderstorms.

*Steve had me on gain, and lower end, but I spanked him in mid-range and PRaT.

Edited by grawk

Steve,

We need to do something about those screws you used no the XLR. I have some #4 screws that should work, I'll send a few your way (with any other options I have) to use on this and other projects.

Cool! They were only meant to be temporary until I could locate something better. Now that's no longer an isue, thanks Nate!

...donkey shows, pedophilia, ...

It's amazing what you can miss when you step away to use the Men's Room for a few minutes.

It's amazing what you can miss when you step away to use the Men's Room for a few minutes.

No, no... that's McAllen and Reynosa, or Eagle Pass / Acuna... maybe next time, but it's the pederasts that are the real problem - though, I did forget the frat boys Greek wrestling in the men's room at the tex-mex place. Just part of the zoo that is 6th street.

ps - still trying to decipher that photo...

Looks like you guys had a kick ass time. Also looks like a certain high voltage headphone amp is coming together. Please tell me the bias supply works;)

I look forward to hosting the first DIY meet in Kansas:basement:

The blurryness was actually intended ...

70's solder rosin bong me thinks :P

Looks like an absolute blast , actually couldn't imagine anything more fun than hanging out with the lads, assembling projects and shooting the breeze.

A few amazing looking projects , sorta getting jealous that I haven't got anything cooking ;D . good work all ..dB

ps - i fancy that top bolt marc

with regard to the F5, well this was a case of double fail... The BOM at tech-diy had a pair of parts reversed, *and* the AudioExpress article did as well. What are the chances? I figured something was up when I first saw things, but decided to check both of these places to be absolutely sure :palm: Anyways, parts are off and ready to be swapped... now I think I'm going to count my lucky stars that nothing blew up and go by some insurance.. a variac at Fry's :palm:

Please tell me the bias supply works;)

heh, yeah it works just fine, but I had to fine tune a few parts to also support all the way down to the low bias phones. No need to cut traces, etc. though :) I looked at my original prototype and the values were right there... RTFM :(

Fired up Als and it was at like 1050 V or something and I was worried my meager 1kV meter was going to go before I had time to grab the trimmer and stop turning.. Obviously, I couldn't just turn it off, way less exciting that way.