The ask dsavitsk thread

...and Nate suggested a Starving Student. Wanted to get y'all's opinions on these two Millett's for sale on HF.

Whiplash Millett SS for $130

Or Millett Hybrid for $150

the $150 looks like a good deal, but I don't know anything about the builder. Thoughts?

That Millett Hybrid is the second version. I have one of the originals, with the BUF634 like that one... it was an excellent match with my HF-1s. Don't know the builder. It's a good price; you probably won't be disappointed IMO if the HF-2s are anything like the HF-1s.

I've had my HF-1s paired with a Nugget Audio Millett Hybrid since I got it. I think it's a great match... I love mine with the 12FK6 tubes. My only suggestion would be to try to track down some of the diamond buffers for the Hybrid... It's definitely a step up in all regards.

I think a MSSH, Cavalli CTH or head-direct EF1 would be a great match for the HF-2.

I don't know that I could decide which of the three I thought sounded better after listening, whether our rds Millett SSH kit (same at the Whiplash kit, but assembled by -=Germania=- for me as a free favor, the wiatrob built CTH that I handed over to Naamanf at CanJam, or the early production EF1 (which I just traded for an EF2 at CanJam).

Frack I wish I had more time on my hands. Stupid blackgated Millett is just dying a slow death in my parts drawer with no case. :palm:

Ha, I'm listening to my MHMax uncased right now. :) It's super bassy even with Gamma1 right now, I'm going to switch in the 12FK6 tomorrow.

Frack I wish I had more time on my hands. Stupid blackgated Millett is just dying a slow death in my parts drawer with no case. :palm:

no worries nato. I'm really hoping for a cheapie solution until I can have the official nugget audio solution. :)

thanks all for your replies.

no worries nato. I'm really hoping for a cheapie solution until I can have the official nugget audio solution. :)

thanks all for your replies.

For cheap and good sound with Grados, I think you'd be hard pressed to beat a simple MOSFET follower. Even with top quality parts it will be cheaper and dare I say better sounding, than any of the Millett Hybrids.

http://www.ecp.cc/SZ.html

RA1_2.jpg

szeke2.gif

I'd expect more chokes from you :) Why not something like a choke loaded source follower?

DC offset. Depending upon the OPT used, the offset between sides has to be really small. For instance, I am working on the version below as an IV to a differential NOS AD1865N DAC. Talking with K&K, offset between sides needs to be in the less than 1mV range, with lower being better. I went through 100 2sk170's, and while I found reasonably match parts, I am still going to need trimmers to be able to make adjustments to get things in that range making choke loading impractical. In fact, I may need to pick up more fets to find better matches. With the Cinemag on the headphone driver, offset issues are slightly relaxed, but not really by much -- it is still a fully interleaved 80% nickel core. More than a few microamps of current will still saturate it.

However, barring the offset issue, I wonder if dual chokes on the same core might work for both sides ...

HPDAC5.2.IV.gif

By the way, the topology is in use here: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=141865

TDA1543's, cheap OPT's (Cinemags that cost $18) and it sounds great -- one of my favorite things I've built.

I went through 100 2sk170's, and while I found reasonably match parts

Doug, I have a considerable number of LSK170 that are already grouped by Idss. In general, they fall into the Toshiba "V" grade Idss classification. I'd be more than happy to ship you a bag of them and let you choose whatever pairs you'd like.

Failing that, I have a considerable number of the Toshiba parts (both binned by Idss, and still in original packaging) that I could send as well.

I use a similar topology with my NOS DAC, except using a eight legged devil instead of a transformer :)

I guess I was referring more to this type of topologies discussed in this thread, but I appreciate the information about DC offset. I wouldn't have though about that :)

diyAudio Forums - CHOKE Loaded MOSFET, easy to build - Page 1

I think you need your own thread around here, many people enjoy picking your brain about things :) In fact, your name came up the other day with respect to a CCS for Pars Counterpoint Preamp. Maybe a mod around here can make that happen (thread split)!

Edited by luvdunhill

hey, thats a fun idea. What about using those LU1014D power JFETs?

Now that this thread is thoroughly off topic ... do you have any thoughts on where to get a quad, or even a pair, of unmatched LU1014D's? I am looking for a decent high current low dropout CCS to use for a filament supply. None of the depletion mode mosfets that I can find are high enough current (I need ~250mA), and everything else I have tried has either not worked, or worked poorly for one reason or another.