Top Gear

Edwood

Great episode. But it would have been better if the Bentley and Brutus segment didn't go into "Britain > Germany."

Incidentally... I've pimped Jay Leno's Garage before, and now I'll do it again. If you like the sort of thing that was on this week - old-school hot rods with aeroplane engines, vintage steam cars, classic prewar automotive art, and generally the sort of stuff Clarkson tells May to shut up about, it's about as good as a site as it gets.

Also, I love the Morgan 3-wheeler. If I could afford one... I'd get an M3. But if I could afford an M3 and a 3-wheeler, I'd get an M5. But if I could afford an M5 and a 3-wheeler, I'd get an M5 and a 3-wheeler, that's for damn sure.

Edited by catscratch

Good episode, and overall a very good series I thought. Some of the middle episodes were kinda meh but 1, 2, 6, and 7 were all really good. I liked that Ferrari too but even more than that I want that M5... What I love most in a car is the ability to be both relaxed when you want it to be and go absolutely nuts when you want to drive like your pants are on fire, and the M5 seems to be the best expression of that, at the moment anyway. Need to try one out (not that it's even remotely in my price range or anything). The 335i and G35/37 both fit into that mold and I enjoyed my time with both of those.

Beater racing looks tempting. Huge potential money sink though, and with audio and photography I don't really need another one sad.png

That was a truly fantastic series!

By the way, to those who don't know, Bentley announced they're going to change that SUV's looks thoroughly before making it. It appears that most people didn't like it at all... hardly surprising.

And that new M5 looks fantastic, but it's a pity it doesn't have that fantastic V10 bellow anymore. I love 10 and 5 cylinder engine noises, they have a really unique sound. A month ago I got myself a 2.5 Jetta, mostly because of the engine note rolleyes.gif

IIRC VW is discontinuing the 5-cylinder in favor of turbo 4s, so that unique 5-banger bellow may be gone soon as well.

My favorite part of my ancient Acura is the engine noise, especially past 5k rpm. Mind you, noise is mostly all you're getting, at least compared to more modern, faster sporty-ish cars. Still, I will miss it when it's gone. The newer 3.5 and 3.7 liter V6s post better numbers, but compared to the old 3.2 they just make a mediocre drone.

Edited by catscratch

IIRC VW is discontinuing the 5-cylinder in favor of turbo 4s, so that unique 5-banger bellow may be gone soon as well.

My favorite part of my ancient Acura is the engine noise, especially past 5k rpm. Mind you, noise is mostly all you're getting, at least compared to more modern, faster sporty-ish cars. Still, I will miss it when it's gone. The newer 3.5 and 3.7 liter V6s post better numbers, but compared to the old 3.2 they just make a mediocre drone.

Yup, here in Brazil we don't have any 5 cylinder VWs left, because the MKV Jetta was the only one here with that engine (our Golf is still the MKIV) and it's been replaced by the new one, which is either a normally aspirated 2.0 (with 115 three-legged-ponys-power) or the 200 hp 2.0 turbo - which goes like stink but sounds like it's really struggling.

Which Acura did you have? I know how this feels, my Jetta is a lot slower than my father's Hyundai Grandeur but the noise is just so much better! And the fact that the Jetta has a much more firm and harder feel to it makes up for a more satisfying driving experience.

Edited by Leonardo Drummond

2001 3.2CL Type-S. I don't like that it's front wheel drive, and the weight distribution could be better. 260hp on the front wheels also makes for some torque steer and interesting behavior at the limit. But the engine noise, steering feel and accuracy, ride and handling balance, and general fine-tuning and engineering stuff is done very well I think. Interior's nice, too. As a sporty-ish coupe it's kinda half-hearted but as a daily driver it's great.

• 2 weeks later...