Top Gear

Edwood

A Top Gear thread!!! How on earth hadn't I ever seen this before?

I know I'm not, but I feel at home now. By far my favourite show.

How do you guys like this last season? I hated the previous one, but this was great. As it has been already said clearly not as good as some older ones and lacking in classics, but still good nonetheless (or nevertheless? Sorry for the English failure here).

Edited by Leonardo Drummond

I liked it when I watched it but not enough of it sticks out in my mind afterwards. The Marauder bit was amazing and the Rowan Atkinson interview was heroic. The rest was nice but a bit uninspired.

I do like that the guys are acting more themselves rather than the silly stereotypes they were becoming in 12-14. Top Gear was my favorite show too but I was just about fed up and ready to jump ship.

Also: am kinda annoyed at the treatment the Oz & James shows are getting from BBC America. It's nice that they're showing them but these shows are Oz and James, not just James. They're undermining Oz to capitalize on James' celebrity. Typical arrogant market-driven attitude.

Edited by catscratch

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm ...a .....yes, I'm an idiot.

I bought a TomTom Top Gear Edition.

While Garmin is certainly better, it's just too awesome to have Jeremy's voice in this SatNav.

Since it's a pre-recorded voice, it won't do text to speech of street names, but even though Jeremy's pre-recorded phrases do get repetitive, it's a lot more entertaining than listening to a robotic voice repeating itself.

I'll have to say it was completely worth it when a wrong turn was made, and Jeremy says "and now you've cocked it up, turn around, and Pay attention!".

-Ed

Edited by Edwood

I'm ...a .....yes, I'm an idiot.

I bought a TomTom Top Gear Edition.

While Garmin is certainly better, it's just too awesome to have Jeremy's voice in this SatNav.

Since it's a pre-recorded voice, it won't do text to speech of street names, but even though Jeremy's pre-recorded phrases do get repetitive, it's a lot more entertaining than listening to a robotic voice repeating itself.

I'll have to say it was completely worth it when a wrong turn was made, and Jeremy says "and now you've cocked it up, turn around, and Pay attention!".

-Ed

Why was I under the impression that it only had maps for the UK and such?

Edit - This is why:

tomtom_go_live_topgear_edition_5.png

Edited by HeadphoneAddict

Why was I under the impression that it only had maps for the UK and such?

Edit - This is why:

tomtom_go_live_topgear_edition_5.png

They were way off on those specs. For the UK Version it's based on the Go Live 825. For the North American Version it's based on the Go Live 1535.

It's a 5" screen and has a microSD slot as well, which is empty, since all the Top Gear stuff is internally stored.

Funny thing is the Car Icon has several versions, including the Hammer-head Eagle-i Thrust, the Snowbiner, that Red Stretch Limo, and a Blimp? The default one is a blue car with the Ford GT like racing stripes, and a little white Stig at the wheel.

Edited by Edwood

They were way off on those specs. For the UK Version it's based on the Go Live 825. For the North American Version it's based on the Go Live 1535.

It's a 5" screen and has a microSD slot as well, which is empty, since all the Top Gear stuff is internally stored.

Funny thing is the Car Icon has several versions, including the Hammer-head Eagle-i Thrust, the Snowbiner, that Red Stretch Limo, and a Blimp? The default one is a blue car with the Ford GT like racing stripes, and a little white Stig at the wheel.

Where did you buy yours, if I might ask?

Edited by HeadphoneAddict

-Ed

This has to be the coolest thing ever made in history.

Just saw the whole thing, it's very nice! Especially the McLaren MP4 bit - I'm not very fond of it, but Jeremy's review is really entertaining, as always.

I liked Powered Up as well, and damn it it makes me want a 1M. I'll probably end up with a 135i eventually, the 1M is just too pricey... and not being made any more either. But the rumor mill has it that while the 1-series is migrating to a front-wheel-drive platform soon (really BMW... really? undecided.gif) the current one will become a 2-series and the 1M will become the M2. Well, one can only hope.

Errr carried away with geeky car talk there. Powered Up! Good!

I liked Powered Up as well, and damn it it makes me want a 1M. I'll probably end up with a 135i eventually, the 1M is just too pricey... and not being made any more either. But the rumor mill has it that while the 1-series is migrating to a front-wheel-drive platform soon (really BMW... really? undecided.gif) the current one will become a 2-series and the 1M will become the M2. Well, one can only hope.

Errr carried away with geeky car talk there. Powered Up! Good!

I was really impressed with the M1 as well, I love the beefed up looks! But the 135i is already really nice, I wish it was possible to buy one of these here in Brazil... but at 125K dollars it simply isn't.

But about the FWD thing, as far as I know it's no longer just a rumor, I think BMW already confirmed it, didn't they?

You could always go electric , as long as you dont need to go more than 100 miles ( or less when power sliding )

6392745113_196ec9e898_b.jpg

(as seen at the SF auto show)

Yours for only $499 a month if you want to be a *gag* "Electronaut"

http://creativity-on...ctronauts/24544

http://www.autoblog....t-drive-review/

Somewhat more attractive was JC's favo(u)rite fax machine, The McLaren MP4-12C

6392692223_a16397dedb_b.jpg

The BBC just did a very interesting documentary, "How to build - A Supercar"

On the manufacture of the MP12

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXgs1yCH7LM

Edit: I've heard its available in 720p , if you know how to use the net ;)

Edited by Grahame

• 2 weeks later...