Sonic Studio 302 (aka Metric Halo ULN-2)

jp11801

trs->xlr cables won't do much good to a GS-1

You can also construct a special cable with a TRS connector and a TS connector. In this cable, you just let the ring of the TRS connector float:

BalancedToUnbalanced.png

TRS to TS unbalanced cable

Alternatively, the TS connector can be replaced with an RCA connector for interfacing with gear that has RCA unbalanced interconnects.

From the manual.

So you want a TRS to RCA cable, with the ring not connected.

Why not a TS to RCA cable? Is there any sonic benefit to using a TRS with the ring disconnected versus the TS connector?This configuration seems to work fine for my application (which is a tube amp with RCA inputs not a GS-1)

Nah, you are good man. The best choice would probably be TRS to XLR then a XLR to RCA converter.

The Jensen transformer upgrade is meant for the mic preamps. Some folks really like the coloration that transformers give to condenser mics (gives them more of a ballsy sound,.. read classic rock). They could provide some galvanic isolation but I've never had a noise issue with my MIO so I can't see that being worth the extra $$$.

If you're looking for a used ULN-2, the price will vary quite a bit depending on how it's configured.

I've seen the basic unit go for as little as $600 but you'll probably have a hard time finding one without either the " plus DSP", "2D card" or both upgrades. Both options are for processing audio, advanced routing, mixing, and recording. For someone who wants to use it exclusively for the DAC and maybe some routing don't really need either.

If you feel like you might be interested in doing needle drops with digital RIAA eq, you'll need +DSP.

Be aware that you can add any of these options anytime you wish.

I bought my ULN-2+DSP in 2007 for $800 just a month before the 2D card was introduced and I didn't get around to adding it till last year.

I think you'll have a tough time finding a ULN-2 without the card but you should be able to find a 2D unit without a DSP licence.

• Like 1

I think it's better to have fewer points of potential failure, but thanks for playing.

Why not the increased common mode rejection (or emi/rfi) the third conductor adds for the length of the cable jackass?

It will measure better, trust me I have compared the two.

Edited by luvdunhill

Regarding the TRS/TS connector question, I have configured the cables I use both ways (in fact, of the 3 cables that I use, I can't remember right off hand which is which) I don't find any difference in the sound of them.

I've also configured cables with the "telescoping shield" where you use a TRS and connect the "R" (ring) and "S" (sleeve) together and have sometimes had issues with hum when I used them for output cables. The telescoping shield is meant for inputs such as DI (direct in) from something like an electric guitar (direct in as opposed to placing a mic in front of a guitar amp) where the extra shielding helps to eliminate hum from nasty environments.

there's no tone in text. You accused me of "hearing a couple of inches of cable". You are a big one for hinting that someone is wrong, and then waiting for an excuse to pounce. So stuff it, prick.

Kinda like you hinted I was wrong with the extra connections and then pounced on the point of failure nonsense? fuck off.

Regarding the TRS/TS connector question, I have configured the cables I use both ways (in fact, of the 3 cables that I use, I can't remember right off hand which is which) I don't find any difference in the sound of them.

I've also configured cables with the "telescoping shield" where you use a TRS and connect the "R" (ring) and "S" (sleeve) together and have sometimes had issues with hum when I used them for output cables. The telescoping shield is meant for inputs such as DI (direct in) from something like an electric guitar (direct in as opposed to placing a mic in front of a guitar amp) where the extra shielding helps to eliminate hum from nasty environments.

Yeah, I used the TRS to XLR connectors when I was using my monoblocks but since the monos were in the amp hospital I was using the tube amp which only has RCA connectors. This tube amp is the one you repaired for me Steve. Both amps sound really nice with their respective connectors with very low noise floor to me.