Sonic Studio 302 (aka Metric Halo ULN-2)

jp11801

I posted full disclosure a week ago hidden in the shopping thread, but technically it is not up and running yet despite JP#'s prodding and cajoling. I am a little slow in that regard plus I need to find another TRS>TRS pair laying around here somewhere to dial in my pre amp. JP#s just told me about a shortcut using the two plugs in the back, who knew? :palm:

Edited by Augsburger

Um, when did Al get the 4?

Dinny, you PM'd me in October asking me about how I liked my Model 4 so maybe your cold has gone to your head. :o

I use breakout cables with mine, and the analog output is all 8 channels. I can play simultaneously on 4 amps that way. I have a 2-channel breakout cable for the output also, but I usually use the big dog for more flexibility. The digital breakout cable is 2 AES/EBU out and 2 in (also total of 8 channels). The analog in is a simple 2-channel L/R pair, but that could be moar if I had other analog sources and wanted the Model 4 to be the preamp.

• 2 weeks later...
Dinny, you PM'd me in October asking me about how I liked my Model 4 so maybe your cold has gone to your head. :o

I use breakout cables with mine, and the analog output is all 8 channels. I can play simultaneously on 4 amps that way. I have a 2-channel breakout cable for the output also, but I usually use the big dog for more flexibility. The digital breakout cable is 2 AES/EBU out and 2 in (also total of 8 channels). The analog in is a simple 2-channel L/R pair, but that could be moar if I had other analog sources and wanted the Model 4 to be the preamp.

As Al stated, a the valuable feature of the ULN-8/Amarra-4 is the capability for multiple source inputs and multi channel outputs to various amps. A significant selling point for me with the ULN-8 is how it solves both my immediate and identifiable future needs. Currently the ULN-8 offers the ability to be a great dac for all my iTunes alac and aiff files, it will serve as a phono stage for my new TT, and it can take over as my new preamp.

The manufacturer is committed to standing behind the MH hardware and software as their product line evolves to ensure a degree of future proofing for the ULN package. I see my main system eventually evolving because of my association with this forum, to comprise of a stereo TT, mono TT, PC (w/USB to spdif converter) running 16/24, 96, 176.4 and 192K files in foobar, my mac mini running iTunes perhaps a AES source of some type and possibly a reel to reel source. That brings it to six channels of input, up to four channels of digital feeding a tube amp, a set of monoblocks now and perhaps Klaus's Odyssey monos or a Pass amp in a few years. So who knows but if I get crazy enough all of this can be handled in one box.

As Al stated, a the valuable feature of the ULN-8/Amarra-4 is the capability for multiple source inputs and multi channel outputs to various amps. A significant selling point for me with the ULN-8 is how it solves both my immediate and identifiable future needs. Currently the ULN-8 offers the ability to be a great dac for all my iTunes alac and aiff files, it will serve as a phono stage for my new TT, and it can take over as my new preamp.

The manufacturer is committed to standing behind the MH hardware and software as their product line evolves to ensure a degree of future proofing for the ULN package. I see my main system eventually evolving because of my association with this forum, to comprise of a stereo TT, mono TT, PC (w/USB to spdif converter) running 16/24, 96, 176.4 and 192K files in foobar, my mac mini running iTunes perhaps a AES source of some type and possibly a reel to reel source. That brings it to six channels of input, up to four channels of digital feeding a tube amp, a set of monoblocks now and perhaps Klaus's Odyssey monos or a Pass amp in a few years. So who knows but if I get crazy enough all of this can be handled in one box.

Now that is an awesome sales pitch.