Shure SRH840 - early listen

CarlSeibert

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got mine today and sold them an hour later. I think they're quite nice for the price, and will recommend them, but I really can't listen to them. A co-worker fell in love with them, though, so that was that. Win-win.
This doesn't bode well for the audioengines. You might be this thing called "spoiled". I mean, let's look at what you got:

home headphone rig: O2's & BHSE -- quite possibly the best headphone sound ever anywhere

portable rig: JH13's -- quite possibly the best portable sound

speaker rig: Abbys & Bailey -- tres excellente speakers

You're not even going to be able to listen to car stereo ever again, are you?

Well, Dusty's right: I'm spoiled and rather like it, except when I have a hard time enjoying things that others are clearly enjoying. He's also right that I don't listen to my crappy car system, radio included, except for occasional NPR, because the sound irritates me to no end. I'm just not in my car long enough in a day to justify throwing money that direction.

I really hope the audioengines work out. Not sure what to do if not.

I got mine today and sold them an hour later. I think they're quite nice for the price, and will recommend them, but I really can't listen to them. A co-worker fell in love with them, though, so that was that. Win-win.

How do they compare with the ESW9s?

and yea Dusty might be right, the A2s are way below what you're used to SQ wise

I prefer the ESW9s.

Don't get me wrong, I think these are decent headphones for the price, definitely good all-rounders. I have them at home with me until Friday, so I'm going to listen for a bit longer. Right now, there's something bugging me about the upper mid-range that just doesn't sound right, like I want to it stop announcing itself.

My 840s are broken in. They changed a lot in break in. I don't remember a period when the upper mids were too prominent, but rather the opposite. I suspect that the ESW9s are actually better, though. They ought to be, given the price difference. We can compare at some point. But the two cans also serve somewhat different purposes. The Shures can take some pretty rough treatment. The 9s may be the sturdiest headphones ever made, but I can't imagine ever treating them badly to find out.

I prefer the ESW9s.

Don't get me wrong, I think these are decent headphones for the price, definitely good all-rounders. I have them at home with me until Friday, so I'm going to listen for a bit longer. Right now, there's something bugging me about the upper mid-range that just doesn't sound right, like I want to it stop announcing itself.

Thanks Vicky :)

• 3 weeks later...

Received mine yesterday -- faster than anticipated.

Initial impressions are good with the SACDMods-modded Denon/Singlepower Supra++. Nice, noneventful frequency response, great isolation. I would have to agree that at a little over US$100 (I think mine was US$130-ish when all was said and done), it is the best closed headphone near its price range. Doesn't outshine the VTG, however (but we're talking the next step up at that point).

PS Does anyone know what kind of connector it has? It's a twist-and-lock type which I've never seen before.

You know, just in case I want to give it an aftermarket cable or something.

The length of the extant one is perfect for my office setup, though -- doesn't drag on the floor (too short), but the length (and coil) are such that it doesn't pull from the left (where the amp is) at all, so sufficiently long.

It's a mini-TRS connector (3.5mm I think... I would check that before buying however). The barrels of many do not allow them to fit. Obviously a custom lock key on the stock cable, but from what I've read, regular mini's are tight enough without it (assuming they fit).

It's 2.5mm phone plug. There's not much clearance in there. I haven't heard of anybody finding a stock one that has a skinny enough body.

I made mine out of a Radio Shack piece. I posted pictures of it either here or on HF. (Maybe in this very thread). A few minutes with a Fordham or Dremel and you're there. There's a little piece that's meant to be the click stop for rotation down near the jack itself that you can lock under. If you come up with an easy way to use the "real" locking shoulder, please share.

While I had mine I took it apart. The plastic tabs are molded into the hole for the locking cable. I've got a pair of SRH750DJs coming my way which I preferred over the 840s and I plan on drilling out those tabs because an 1/8" Neutrik will fit the hole. I will then mount a mini jack inside though I suppose I could make it easier on myself and just source a cable mountable sub-mini. But then I rarely do things the easy way.