Apogee Mini-DAC - thank you grawk.

Comfy

Finally got my Mini-DAC, which directly replaces my old Lavry DA10. The change was based mostly on a single recommendation by grawk. He didn't adorn his recommendation with audiophile jargon or any other verbal acrobatics for that matter. It was quite blunt, along the lines of "the Lavry sounds like shit, the Mini-DAC sounds good". Somehow that convinced me.

And now that I'm here listening to my new setup: Beck - Sea Change to Mini-DAC to SRM-T1S to LNS... I'm really happy that I took grawk's word.

The Mini-DAC sounds like the notes have been covered with alternating layers of candy coating and heroin. The soundstage is tighter, more realistic, more intimate. The bass extends much, much lower and has a lot more body to it. The music moves me in much the same way as the first glass of good red wine on an empty stomach, on that third date with your new love in a fancy restaurant. It goes straight to my head and my head loves it.

Some will contend that the DA10 is more detailed. Well, I'm hearing detail I hadn't heard before. And the detail I hear makes sense in the musical context too. Perhaps the DA10 is just so boring in its presentation, that even if the detail is present, your brain doesn't really care?

All in all, my system is finally where I wanted it to be, and my search for emotion through technology has reached a new high mark.

Good album choice. I don't actually know the whole album well, though, because I just keep repeating "paper tiger" over and over.

In any case, congratulations on your plateau, which will eventually be revealed as a sort of deceleration lane on the steady, corkscrew-like descent into audiophilia nervosa (read hell).

Or what about the time he sold Ari one of Vicki's bras, and told him it was a new MarkL creation. Even though Ari completely fell for it, wasn't it ironic how it ended up holding private body parts again. That Grawk is one funny guy!

Ironic or entirely predictable?

That said, I do like both the Apogee Mini-DAC and Beck, and someone owes me a new bra.

I've had my mini-DAC since Peter (Iron_Dreamer) sold it to me in Feb 2008, and I am still pretty happy with it. So, I hope you get many years of happiness from yours.

However, the O2 Mk2 are a good example of a phone that sounded better with plaidplatypus's DA10 than it did with my Mini-DAC (using maxed Woo GES). They were just too forward and rolled off sounding with the Apogee, even after rolling in some brighter tubes. My PS Audio DLIII and Pico DAC-only also work better with the Stax O2 rig than the mini-DAC. For everything else I have been very pleased with the Apogee as my source.

not sure...my DAC1 sounds nothing like glass breaking, and I am one of those high frequency sensitive types.

Monkey really meant to say it sounds like Baccarat crystal breaking. He just doesn't like to be snobbish though.

I'd suggest breaking a big piece of Baccarat, and see if he's not correct. ;)

Or when he insisted that the girl he got me really was a woman. He was right though that it was a night I wouldn't forget.

Or what about that time I ran across Grawk in his cabin in the Alaskan wilderness. I invited him to a party, told him there'd most likely be some drinkin', fightin' and even fuckin'. He asked who'd be there, and I told him just he and I. He thought for a minute and then said sure. He asked me to have all the lights off...said he was a bit on the shy side.

When he came in the door I greeted him with a beer and a big hug. Man he was a hairy SOB!

It wasn't 'til the fuckin' started that the practical joke became clear. There were a few scars and a little blood, but that Grizzly bear sure new how to hit my G-spot! I never laughed so hard in my life!

Come to think of it, I never did see Dan after that. :confused: