New Amp! First Watt F1

recstar24

You do, indeed, need a "real" pre-amp.

That said, how does the Moth sound, being used as it is?

Well, it actually sounds quite good...now I don't have much preamp experience but it sounds fine just the way it is. From a technical standpoint, the gain and voltage output on the moth are low enough where it is actually doable, I'm at about 10 oclock right now on the moth and the volume is great, and if I close my eyes I just pretend I have a badass 45 DHT SET preamp driving my F1.

One thing I will say though is that at least with the horns the bass was waaaaaaayyyyy too crazy even for the most rigorous of bass heads. I just got back from radio shack and I picked up some 10 ohm and 50 ohm 10 watt resistors to play around loading some resistance on the output by wiring them in parallel on the speaker binding posts. The 10 ohm is in now and it sounds fantastic, the bass is really nice. I will play around with the 50 ohm later and see where I would like to keep it.

Well finally a "real" preamp came in the other day ago.

recstar24-albums-first-watt-f1-picture1070-photo.jpg

recstar24-albums-first-watt-f1-picture1071-photo2.jpg

Its a little first watt B1 buffer that Doug quickly jerryrigged for me to help pass the time until I get my real beast. He slapped on some cinemags on the input so that I could use my balanced out on the meridian, and its powered by a single 9 volt. The sound is pretty fantastic if I say so myself.

I hope you don't hit any speed bumps, your muffler is dragging.

Battery power -- mmmmm...

Ha, took me awhile to get that one, middle school kids getting me so slllloooooowwwww.

Yes battery power does indeed rock, and if I needed more voltage (which I don't think I do), I could wire another 9v in series for 18v. A lot of the people on DIYaudio have their B1's rigged up with 2 9v's in series, about as quiet as it can be.

Same font?

Saturday-Night-Fever-.jpg

Knowing Nelson Pass' sense of humor, I wouldn't be surprised if there was some connection;)

It's a very different font, just look at the 'A'

in both Watt and Saturday, not remotely the same.

And I hope that's not the final case for your B1. The DIY police will storm the place if it is.

Nope just a temporary thing that will probably end up going back to Doug so he can use some of the parts inside for other projects, though the thing sounds so good I may just keep it here and case it up.

It's a very different font, just look at the 'A'

in both Watt and Saturday, not remotely the same.

And I hope that's not the final case for your B1. The DIY police will storm the place if it is.

Fonts are not close. The F1 is in an art deco style while SNF is in some kind of mod font.

I realize it isn't the SNF. Nelson is too classy for that. It's just the first thing that came to mind when I saw the F1 in person years ago and each time I see it for some reason - :D - Just a stupid antipodal post by me is all. I'd agree, it looks art deco more than anything.