Advice on new tv

shellylh

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sigh, I put a Samsung LN52B750 in my amazon cart a few days ago at $1699.99 and now it is up to $1,929.00. :( I guess I will be waiting a while before I buy. I don't have time to deal with messing with the living room setup right now anyway.

Note to self: must remember to use the HC link to amazon if I buy a tv from them.

If LCDs are your ultimate decision I believe patience will save you mucho cum 1H 2010. Despite the apparent pricing in elasticity we are currently seeing, there is a huge amount of capacity for LCD screens coming on line in the next twelve months, with tighter credit and more job losses in the wings, the LCD manufacturers will be looking at a lot more unsold inventory in Q1 2010 than they expected and prices should drop even more after December.

Just my WAG.

If LCDs are your ultimate decision I believe patience will save you mucho cum 1H 2010. Despite the apparent pricing in elasticity we are currently seeing, there is a huge amount of capacity for LCD screens coming on line in the next twelve months, with tighter credit and more job losses in the wings, the LCD manufacturers will be looking at a lot more unsold inventory in Q1 2010 than they expected and prices should drop even more after December.

Just my WAG.

What does your crystal ball say about newer technologies, such as OLED's?

Just my WAG.

According to the owner of the mom and pop I shop at, that theory might be wrong. Right now he is having trouble getting inventory. He says that because of the economy, manufacturing has been reduced. I have been waiting about 45 days for a particular model that is on backorder. I have pretty much decided on a plan B, but I would like to see this particular set before I pull the trigger. Will probably just say fuck it and go to plan B if it is not in by Xmas. Also, if you check around online you will see a lot of the higher end sets are listed as on backorder or unavailable.

Greg, the inventory issue is interesting. I have been reading that retailers are short inventory this season. But I also find the vast majority of stories about retailers during Holiday season to be complete and utter bullshit. But ronnie's experience seems to support it. With an n of 1 of course.

In a lot of cases retailers can't afford to carry inventory since they don't have the credit & cashflow to support it. So what's going on a lot is they won't place the order with the distributor/manufacturer until they get a customer order which is why we're getting all those backorders. The manufacturers wait till they get a big enough batch of orders to do a production run, and from there it takes about 30-45 days for the retailer to get the product in store and ready for delivery.

I was reading a review the other day between a group of players that were capable of streaming Netflix. The review stated that the audio was in stereo, not DD, and the the HD video was not even close to Bluray. If this is true, I don't see the benefit of Netflix streaming unless instant gratification is that important. Wouldn't quality be worth a day or two wait for the disc to come in the mail.