Fucking moron with computer source question......

randerson3024

Not to mention software crap changes so fast, any meet impressions focused on it would be invalidated in a month for most apps. Amarra is even said to sound different based on versions, with the newest version not sounding the best. I've heard some version or another and liked it.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No one else called it lowly either, no one is attacking the position that it's possible to have other paths to success.

You're inventing a strawman and being a jackass about it. The people that I know who use amarra didn't buy it because some salesman or forum told them to. Saying that Al, Jeff, and John are suckers (which is what you're doing) is insulting my friends with baseless criticism. You're talking out of your ass, and being a condescending prick. It's people like you that discourage less technical people from even considering the free solutions, because so many high profile jackasses espouse your position. So go over to the computer as source forum at headfi, or to hardocp, or to whatever other place you want, and be a snobbish jerk there. If you stay here, get over yourself and act like you would in someone else's living room.

I think I love Boomana. I hope she's not a dude...........

Edited by randerson3024
wrong response

Not to mention software crap changes so fast, any meet impressions focused on it would be invalidated in a month for most apps. Amarra is even said to sound different based on versions, with the newest version not sounding the best. I've heard some version or another and liked it.

No, it's just that the older version just had more burn-in..... :D

Pompon's first post got me started, because pompon is a douche.

I have nothing to add to this whole "debate", but I wanted to point out that this comment is a bit harsh and uncalled for. I've met pompon in real life and while he believes in some pretty esoteric audio gear that I don't care for myself, I hardly see how that makes him a douche. He was a very nice guy to talk with in fact, so I don't get the personnal attack unless there's some event I've missed.

I have nothing to add to this whole "debate", but I wanted to point out that this comment is a bit harsh and uncalled for. I've met pompon in real life and while he believes in some pretty esoteric audio gear that I don't care for myself, I hardly see how that makes him a douche. He was a very nice guy to talk with in fact, so I don't get the personnal attack unless there's some event I've missed.

If he's a nice guy IRL, that's fine. But honestly, go through his posts here - douchebaggery at its finest.

And I feel confident saying that, even considering how much of a douche many now think I am (or always thought I was).

I don't think anyone is a douche here, in fact I think it's mostly a problem of communication. In pompon's case, his English sucks badly. In your case, you have some very legitimate concerns IMO, but you might have voiced them a bit too aggressively for some people here, though I thought the reaction to your posts was a bit disproportionate.

The weekend was crazy here, feeled temperatures at around -30C. Good time to cryo your cables for free. :P

would May be a nice time of year to visit Montreal? I am considering a holiday on the way back from a conference in the US......

May is average, June is better and July even better with all the festival and sunny hot weather.

Hey, quite a nice discussion going on here! ;)

I see that Beefy DIY's his own DACs. I'm probably at the other extreme from this, I can barely use a multimeter to bias tubes. I even forgot about doing so after getting a BHSE because it didn't have convenient receptacles for the probes. :palm:

However, I also use a "lowly" PC-as-transport, though I don't understand why it's described as lowly. :D I have nothing against Mac or Amarra, haven't tried it. I use foobar with SoX resampler -> RME HDSPe AES -> dual AES -> Esoteric D-05. I need the resampler in order to utilize the dual AES output of the sound card. I'm also using the G-03x clock. I'm guessing that Amarra's effects, given the descriptions I've read, are probably similar to the effect of using the clock in my system. It's not a big difference, but it's one of those things that after you've experience it you don't want to revert back, kind of like watching "HD" and "even more HD" on TV. If this is the case, and I'm totally guessing here, I would think that the price for Amarra is reasonable.

I think the OP should try a Mac-based system and iTunes. Foobar is not easy to use, especially for a typical middle-aged audiophile-type with more money than brains (given almost-zero brains). Wait, I'm talking about myself, not the OP.

Oh, I also think the OP should get rid of the SRD7 (I have SRD7 Mk2), the Raptor (I owned one), and maybe the Lehmann BCL too (I've owned one since 2005) and buy a BHSE. :)

Edited by Elephas

Hey, quite a nice discussion going on here! ;)

I see that Beefy DIY's his own DACs. I'm probably at the other extreme from this, I can barely use a multimeter to bias tubes. I even forgot about doing so after getting a BHSE because it didn't have convenient receptacles for the probes. :palm:

However, I also use a "lowly" PC-as-transport, though I don't understand why it's described as lowly. :D I have nothing against Mac or Amarra, haven't tried it. I use foobar with SoX resampler -> RME HDSPe AES -> dual AES -> Esoteric D-05. I need the resampler in order to utilize the dual AES output of the sound card. I'm also using the G-03x clock. I'm guessing that Amarra's effects, given the descriptions I've read, are probably similar to the effect of using the clock in my system. It's not a big difference, but it's one of those things that after you've experience it you don't want to revert back, kind of like watching "HD" and "even more HD" on TV. If this is the case, and I'm totally guessing here, I would think that the price for Amarra is reasonable.

I think the OP should try a Mac-based system and iTunes. Foobar is not easy to use, especially for a typical middle-aged audiophile-type with more money than brains (given almost-zero brains). Wait, I'm talking about myself, not the OP.

Oh, I also think the OP should get rid of the SRD7 (I have SRD7 Mk2), the Raptor (I owned one), and maybe the Lehmann BCL too (I've owned one since 2005) and buy a BHSE. :)

Nice rig! I roll with a P-03/D-03/G-0Rb at home. My BHSE is on order. I have yet to try an SRD-7 MK2, but I am looking at better tubes for the Stax amp.

All, right! I think I can safely say that you'll like the BHSE, even though you sold off an Aristaeus. :D

Yes, I'm unfortunately all too aware and jealous of the P-03/D-03/G-0Rb. That would be quite the source to match with a BHSE.

It seems that Facets hasn't been updated in a while. I'm not sure it works with the latest 1.0 foobar. See, this is the kind of thing that makes using foobar more complicated. Can you imagine a "beginner-type" computer user messing around with foobar configuration, not to mention a "fucking moron" type? :cool:

Facets

It seems that Facets hasn't been updated in a while. I'm not sure it works with the latest 1.0 foobar. See, this is the kind of thing that makes using foobar more complicated. Can you imagine a "beginner-type" computer user messing around with foobar configuration, not to mention a "fucking moron" type? :cool:

Facets has come with the last few releases of foobar by default. It definitely still works.

Addition of themes has improved the ease of the UI even more.

Hahaha, are there people waiting for their BHSE? Hahahaha. Haha. One more, haha.

Facets has come with the last few releases of foobar by default. It definitely still works.

Addition of themes has improved the ease of the UI even more.

Got it. I looked around deviantART but couldn't find something I liked. Ah well, if you want something done right...