Fucking moron with computer source question......

randerson3024

You can also get a Mac Pro and put a Lynx AES16e in the PCI-Express slot for digital out.

edit: I have never been a fan of onboard motherboard digital outs. We did some listening tests using the onboard digital out of the Mac Pro and with the AES16e. Did the same with a PC running Windows with the onboard digital out on the motherboard (Gigabyte?) and the Lynx. The Lynx sounded better in both cases and though I do have more experience with the Lynx in Windows, I'm sure the Mac drivers are perfect as well. We didn't use Amarra though.

Edited by deepak

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like thread titles that start with "Fucking..." both here and at other sites I frequent. This one has been a particularly interesting read. I've never really used my Mac as a source, although I have Matt and Jeff and a number of other DanJam vets to thank for loads of music now resident on my laptop. I should check out this Amarra business.

You need to use a USB HD as your Mini will only have one Firewire which is reserved for the ULN-8.

I need to get up to speed on the documentation and learn a little more about the ULN-8's capabilities. I thought at one time I read somewhere that the ULN-8 could use it's second firewire port for transferring HD stored music, at least that is what I remembered. Anyone who knows me knows that that assumption must be taken with a huge grain of salt.

• 5 weeks later...
For ripping your music accurately and efficiently on a PC, you can't beat dbpoweramp. I liked it so much I bought it versus the free EAC.

MAC versus PC gives you no inherent benefit to sound quality...... it all depends on what software you want to use. iTunes on a MAC is easy, but there are a lot of tweaker options on the PC. I use foobar2000, which is extremely efficient and robust once you have it set up how you like it.

Why I hear a CLEAR difference between X-Meridian 7.1 and M-Audio 192 using the same PC, the same coax cable and the same DAC and the same software ? (BTW, M-Audio was a clear winner in details, better imaging)

Why I hear a CLEAR difference between my Virtual Dynamic David 2.0 coax cable and the Stereovox XV2 ? (StereoVox was more laidback ... it's better because the VD put in your face the music and the back details was very difficult to hear compared to the stereovox).

Why I hear a CLEAR difference between my best setup PC against MiniMac (modded with a coax BNC) ? (Mac was a clear winner ... more laidback, back details better exposed, more depth of the soundstage ...)

I was not a beliver before have occasion to test myself ... If you have occasion ... test yourself. It's not a good news for me because I don't want take the MAC route ... I look for a reclocking devise less expansive than a MacMini + Stereovox ... to be able to keep my Foobar + PC! 8-)

Why I hear a CLEAR difference between my best setup PC against MiniMac (modded with a coax BNC) ? (Mac was a clear winner ... more laidback, back details better exposed, more depth of the soundstage ...)

Perhaps it is because you're just a douche who doesn't know how to set up PC audio correctly, and need it handed to you on a platter?

Count me in with the douches.:palm: KS doesn't work on the Emu 0404 USB for whatever reason but I tried DS and prefer its sound to ASIO. Can anyone say lead ears.

You don't sit with the douches, because you actually have the ability to set things up properly - you just don't like how it sounds.

My original point still stands...... MAC versus PC gives you no inherent benefit to sound quality, it all depends on things downstream of that base platform. If you could use the same audio hardware on both platforms, and set the software (driver, audio stack and player) to be bit perfect on both platforms, it would sound identical. If you can't get the same hardware to sound the same on PC versus MAC, then it is douche all the way.

You don't sit with the douches, because you actually have the ability to set things up properly - you just don't like how it sounds.

My original point still stands...... MAC versus PC gives you no inherent benefit to sound quality, it all depends on things downstream of that base platform. If you could use the same audio hardware on both platforms, and set the software (driver, audio stack and player) to be bit perfect on both platforms, it would sound identical. If you can't get the same hardware to sound the same on PC versus MAC, then it is douche all the way.

I think those using Amarra on Mac would disagree with you. And according to Sonic Studios it is still bit perfect.

I think those using Amarra on Mac would disagree with you.

They probably wouldn't. But I don't think anybody who spends $1000 on media player software and I will agree on anything. EVER.

And according to Sonic Studios it is still bit perfect.

How does resampling your music through a bunch of fancy algorithms count as bit perfect?

The reason people spend money on a different playback method even tho it's still "just bit perfect" is that they hear a difference, and believe that something else must be involved. Bit perfect just accounts for the data, not the timing, so there could very well be something else involved. The human brain is an interesting thing. It is capable of perceiving things we don't yet know how to quantify.

The reason people spend money on a different playback method even tho it's still "just bit perfect" is that they hear a difference, and believe that something else must be involved. Bit perfect just accounts for the data, not the timing, so there could very well be something else involved. The human brain is an interesting thing. It is capable of perceiving things we don't yet know how to quantify.

The Amarra makes a big difference in my system. The iMac and Ayre QB-9 are good by themselves, but the Amarra makes it truly musical. The licensing issues could not be solved working through the LAN out here on the boat, however the folks at Amarra were more than gracious in figuring out a solution by sending me a copy I can use. I encourage anyone with the Ayre to listen to both versions. I really think I can start archiving my CD's and sending them home now.

The human brain is an interesting thing. It is capable of perceiving things we don't yet know how to quantify.

Well this is the age old question...... I would certainly rate the extremely plastic nature of the brain as a much stronger physiological phenomenon, but I doubt anybody is going to change anybody else's mind on the subject.

The Amarra makes a big difference in my system. The iMac and Ayre QB-9 are good by themselves, but the Amarra makes it truly musical. The licensing issues could not be solved working through the LAN out here on the boat, however the folks at Amarra were more than gracious in figuring out a solution by sending me a copy I can use. I encourage anyone with the Ayre to listen to both versions. I really think I can start archiving my CD's and sending them home now.

Compared to what other playback software though? Did you try a few other 'bit perfect' solutions before you tried the audiophile quality computer music player for the most discriminating enthusiast?

Compared to what other playback software though? Did you try a few other 'bit perfect' solutions before you tried the audiophile quality computer music player for the most discriminating enthusiast?

Gentlemen, you can't fight in here. This is the War Room!

I like Amarra with the Ayre, too. No idea what it actually does, but the audible effect -- to me -- is to ameliorate the slight harshness of digital source material and to an extent ape the more organic sound I get from the pure analog chain. Minus surface noise etc.

tl;dr -- it's well smoove, innit?