Best Deal for Windows 7?

So, I bought my Lenovo from JB w/out an operating system (but with an XP key) last year. Because I was tight on money, I threw a Windows 7 Ultimate release candidate on it. Well, I'm getting daily warnings that it's about to expire (in about a week), so it's time to get this squared away.

I have a Vista Ultimate seat on my old HTPC sitting unused since switching over to the PS3 for my media. However, I've never run anything but W7 on this machine, and am a little concerned about how it will handle Vista Ultimate. But I could certainly install it in a pinch.

In the meantime, my girlfriend's back in school (and her laptop crapped out too, so we're both using mine), so the educational discount is an option. Windows 7 Professional for $65... This seems like the best option (Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade is $120 in comparison).

So, is there anything I'm missing? Thoughts? I'd appreciate any input you might have...

I picked up Win 7 Ultimate for free from my brother in law's brother in law, lol. But if I didn't get it for free from him, I would have gotten one of my Fraternity brothers from college to get it for me. They get Ultimate for $15. A few of my friends got the young guys (still in school) to get a bunch of copies for them.

• 2 months later...

Any of you guys still have 'deals' on Windows 7? It appears I need to use a post-XP Windows version for a class and I'd like to go legit if possible, but no way I'm spending 150$ for a secondary OS that will only steal precious space from my OS X partition.

Any of you guys still have 'deals' on Windows 7? It appears I need to use a post-XP Windows version for a class and I'd like to go legit if possible, but no way I'm spending 150$ for a secondary OS that will only steal precious space from my OS X partition.

I'd try to get access to MSDN AA first: Windows 7 Professional - Availble NOW for MSDNAA Users (Possibly FREE) -YMMV - SlickDeals.net Forums

Back when the deal was hot it was $30 for 7 copies of Win7 Pro and a whole bunch of other software (Vista, XP, Visual Studio...)

If you can't get that, looks like you can get it for $65 if you have a .edu email: Microsoft Office Discount for US Students -The Ultimate Steal- Office 2007 Software for $59.95 - main page is for Office but Win7 is listed as well

• 5 months later...
Is it actually not possible to install Win7 on two different computers now? I know this wasn't necessarily a problem with XP.

Are you speaking of physically installing or legally installing on two computers? Although the EULA for both XP and Win7 specify that every machine that they are installed on must have their own license, you can activate each license five times (after which you are required to call in for activations). You can install and activate multiple machines with a single license, but you're not supposed to.

Are you speaking of physically installing or legally installing on two computers? Although the EULA for both XP and Win7 specify that every machine that they are installed on must have their own license, you can activate each license five times (after which you are required to call in for activations). You can install and activate multiple machines with a single license, but you're not supposed to.

The former. I didn't know if Win7 had limited amount of activations or not, since I never encountered that with XP when I used to format/re-install XP on regular basis.