Using foreign amps w/ voltage transformers to save on import cost

So there are some nice looking Japanese amps that catch my eye. It looks as though the U.S. markup is outrageous ($3.5k higher than the imported amp example below), with the only difference (afaik) being a USA-compensated voltage.

In the Luxman example below, Audiocubes2 offers a voltage transformer with the original japan version of the amp, at a much cheaper price than buying it from the U.S. dealers. I wont mention names, but it seems to fetch about $9,500 from U.S.A. based merchants that I've seen. I'm wondering how much (if any) of a hit I'd take in the sound quality department if I went with the Audiocubes version, that comes with the voltage transformer. I've not seen the transformer, so I dont know what it looks like, how well its built, etc. So I guess I'm looking for feedback from anyone with experience with such a device.

Example:

Audio Cubes II - High Fidelity Audio Products

I'd really like to try the luxman with harbeths, especially after reading an article in issue 15 of Tonepub that compares such a setup. But 3.5 thousand dollars extra puts it in the not-very-likely category for me, especially if the voltage is the only difference. That would just be depressing.

I've noticed similar markups for Leben amps as well, for the same exact issue.

I will note that the picture of the Luxman in the Audiocubes site is different than that of the USA sites, but I'm pretty sure they are just showing a different model in the picture by mistake.

Edited by aardvark baguette

The only issue I have with step up/down transformer is that their build quality is often quite bad since they are built to a price. Few have cores large enough to do the job properly since they try to keep the weight down. OTOH a well built step down should even bring benefits over connection directly to the wall by offering galvanic isolation and removing all DC from the power line. You can have somebody like SumR make you a proper main transformer which should cost a lot less then the price difference is between imported and domestic models.

Anyone know if these are likely to be of good or bad quality?

Power Converter - Step Up/Down Japan Transformers

I was going to say just buy something that is rated for a much higher power than you need and you should be fine I would think. That said transformer hum can be a bitch and cheaper transformers (which I don't know if those are or not) do it more than a potted SumR ever would.

I don't think it is a good idea to run 100V gear off 120v. In terms of tube gear with unregulated PSU's, you are seeing a lot more voltage on the secondary which is then further stepped up by being rectified. Lets say a 400VAC output from the transformer which would give us 564VDC. Now run the amp off 120V and you have 480VAC which is 677VDc and that could be too much for the capacitors. This is an extreme case but many tube amps run at these voltages (or even higher) and use very simple PSU's.

Anyone know if these are likely to be of good or bad quality?

Power Converter - Step Up/Down Japan Transformers

I have no idea without looking inside but they do look a lot like one of my cheap ones (230V to 100v/117V) and it is good, not great. I have a huge vintage transformer which is better but then it is really heavy. It's also got multiple taps so I can fine tune the output voltage. I would try to find some surplus stuff in your area but something like these in the link should be more then good enough. Then there are always custom Plitron's and SumR units... :D

Just thinking if it also has a US version that isnt just a complete afterthought with a different transformer, it would probably make financial sense for them to just use a multiple primary transformer. Even if you have to change the power transformer, it still saves the cost of the extra case, outlets and wiring, not to mention the tendency to buy an even more overrated transformer.

L_590A_photos.jpg

it looks like a rather nice unit in the luxman, but I'm just going off superficial looks as I dont know all the technical info you guys do. Also odd is that its almost in the middle of the machine, usually they are near the IEC plug, or so I thought.

I dont suppose the picture above shows if it has the usa-ready primaries/windings/whatever.

Hell, even if its expensive, I'd still be better of paying someone to build one than pay the extra for the US version (again, assuming its just a voltage difference).