iPad apps

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A couple apps I'm liking:

The Guardian Eyewitness - nice news photography with little blurbs. It's also free.

GPS Drive MotionX - I've avoided the whole GPS thing because I didn't want to spend money for a GPS, and I was also afraid of being distracted by it. I have to admit that it comes in handy sometimes. I got this app a couple days ago, and it's just right. You get one month free of voice directions then I think it's about $25 for the year. I'm not sure if I'll go that route, but I like the large size of the maps and don't find it distracting at all.

Yeah I am a big fan of the Guardian App. Fantastic photography and some fascinating stories behind the pics.

The upgraded B&N reader app is out today. Now both Amazon and B&N offer better readers on the iPad than they have on their own devices.

The upgraded B&N reader app is out today. Now both Amazon and B&N offer better readers on the iPad than they have on their own devices.
Moar functionality, which is different, right? I've only owned a Kindle for a few days, and love the iPad, but it doesn't take long to see which is the 'better reader' for long texts. Well, at least it's open for debate. Edited by blessingx

Functionality. The Kindle operating system seems like it is about 20 years behind the readers on the iPad. I put the Kindle in the drawer the day the iPad showed up and did not take it out until I gave it away a couple of weeks ago.

I don't get as excited about e-ink as most people seem to so it was an easy decision for me even though I had only had the Kindle a few months when I got the iPad.

Fair enough and I shouldn't have picked on a small statement. Sorry for that.

I'm one of the few that didn't consider the Kindle until after the iPad entered my life and got me used to tablets as a device. Long text is one of the few uses the iPads LCD screen didn't help any more than the zero novels I ever read on my laptops LCD screen and Amazon adding video functionality to their iPad Kindle app doesn't help much on the text front either. And 'cause I can be a jerk, I gotta ask, sorry again, how many years behind the readers on the iPad do printed books seem? ;)

Edited by blessingx

I can't even find the buttons on a book.

I have to admit I find it funny watching the people trying to read books on the subway while holding on to a pole.

I really read more magazines with the Zinio app than books as it is a short term commute kind of thing for me.

I already have it. :)

The shows you can just browse and listen to on this app:

All Songs Considered

Song of the Day

First Listen

Live from Bonnaroo

World Cafe

Tiny Desk Concerts

JazzSet With Dee Dee Bridgewater

Mountain Stage

Marian McPartland's Piano Jazz

Live In Concert From All Songs Considered

Live at the Village Vanguard

50 Great Voices

Classics in Concert

XPN Live Fridays

Thistle & Shamrock

Favorite Sessions

What makes It Great

Jazz Profiles

GlobalFEST

From the Top

Plus, you can browse by genre or by artist and find interviews, reviews, news, and profiles, plus listen to concerts, studio sessions, songs.

Edited by boomana

If anyone feels like spending three days to get free music, maybe try MOG Mobile Music App. It's free to download, and a free trial for three days, but then $9.99 a month after that. You get unlimited downloads at 64kbps or 320; you get unlimited "on-demand" streaming of any song, album, artist; MOG radio discovery engine, which is basically a radio stream "artist only" mix or a full mix of similar artists (you decide what you want); and you get to create playlists on their website then access them from your phone or ipad. I'm going to try it out next weekend when I have time to mess around with it.

EDIT: not yet ready for OS4

Edited by boomana