iPad apps

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

ok, now that I've bought just about every ipad vnc thingy known to man and beast, I have to proclaim Wyse Pocketcloud the winner for me. It has by far the best navigation system of them all and is also nicely snappy. To me, this is how a ipad vnc should work. it has a very comprehensive navigation system that turned out to be even moreso than I expected and navigation is the most important aspect as far as usability is concerned. it is mobile specific so it lacks the 'anywhere, anytime, anything' flexibility of logmein ignition which only needs a browser to connect. For speed, connection reliability and interface... pocketcloud is great.

I also just bought plex for me mobiles, so we'll see how that goes later.

yep, I have iteleport, logmein, realvnc, teamviewer, remotepc, desktop connect, RDM+ and pocket office pro amongst others.

The Wyse has a unique pointer which is very accurate but also has simultaneous finger pointing, screen sliding and direct window/scroll bar dragging all at once. It's pretty damn spiffy once you get the hang of how they do things. A lot will depend on how you like to work though. Rather than the two finger scrolling and inertial mouse slinging, it has a scroller in the mouse thingy as well as a seperate right click and keyboard button all in the same expandable pointer. Iteleport might be faster for generall whizzing around, but if you need precision and versatility (which I do) the Wyse is a better option. A good $14 worth for me.

using on both mac and pc

Installed Tex Touch app on the ipad today.

It is a nice latex editor. It doesn't have its own compiler but rather compiles via Dropbox+Tex Timer (a program that you run on some other computer that tells tex to compile any file that is changed in a specified folder in your Dropbox Folder). It was pretty easy to set up and works well (as long as you have an internet connection). You can still edit when not connected via wifi but won't be able to compile.

• 1 month later...

Bah. When I try to connect with the iPad, I get 'Login Failed: Gateway authentication failed. Please check your credentials, address, gateway setting, and network connection.'

While in my working VPN on my PC, I can click on 'modify' and see the properties of the VPN connection, and it shows the host name, group authentication name, but there's a password of '*********'.

When I try my personal password with my personal user name, it doesn't work. Probably there's a hospital password, and I'm sure they won't give it to me!

Any other tricks? Or am I missing something?

Decided to give it a shot. This is the beauty of the Federal government hospital when it comes to technology and semi -unusual requests.

Don't read on if you're bored by lame phone call rants, but this might be entertaining for some:

I looked on our web site for whom to call for VPN issues. Called that 800#. Had a choice of 7 prompts, none of which fit, hit 0 for operator, as suggested. Put on hold and listened to patriotic marching band music, first up was 'The Halls of Montezuma'. Heard a computerized apology for the delay, as 'there is a higher than normal call volume' (there is ALWAYS a higher than normal call volume when I call them!). Next up was 'When the Saints Go Marching In'. Operator answered, 'Hello, I would like to access our medical chart and email by establishing a VPN on my iPad'. He paused and thought for a few seconds. 'I don't think we deal with that, let me check, please hold.' More 'When the Saints Go Marching In'. He came back ... 'so what is that, an iPad?' 'Yes'. 'That's a Mac, right?'. 'No, it's called iOS, it's like a big iPhone.' 'Let me check on that.' More 'When the Saints Go Marching In'. 'We don't handle that, please call your local hospital IT.' 'Thank you.' Took a deep breath, called my local hospital IT. They picked up pretty quickly. No marching band music. 'I'd like to access the hospital chart using my iPad over a VPN. I have a Citrix client app and I think if I can get the settings and passwords, it should work.' 'Let me take your info and I'll create a trouble ticket.' (Typing noises in background). 'VTN?' 'No, VPN, a Virtual Private Network, so that I can get into the chart and email remotely.' 'What is your PC's EE number?' 'Uhhh, I can get that for you, but is it necessary? I would use my iPad and want to access remotely, not at the hospital.' 'Yeah, you're right, I don't need that.' (Lots of furious typing). 'Ok, I've created a trouble ticket, it's xxxx. A tech will contact you shortly.' 'Thank you!'

Should be interesting ... actually, I was expecting to get the door slammed in my face right away. So, getting farther than expected, already!