i'm on a roll... the kgsshv

kevin gilmore

Check with DigiKey.

Schubert, that is a very classy build. Congratulations!

Hi eggil,

Thanks for the tip. All parts accounted for with the exception of the 2SC2705s which spritzer is helping me with. Thanks everyone!

Seeing all those nice builds just makes me feel like a little boy at Christmas :P Gratz Schubert!

Well , Spritzer and Schubert are right. The Pessante 2U is a tight fit :)

Only 10 mmm clearance from the heatsinks to the top cover, which means 6-7 mm risers at most. I am thinking on applying some sort of insulating material to the bottom cover as well, without obstructing the vents. For the top, I purchased the one with the vented covers, like Schubert's.

All boards are up and running, with balance at +- 0.3V and offset at +- 0.5V, temperatures in heat-sinks between 49-54 centigrades, higher in the amps than the PSU. Very stable and easier than my first KGSSHV, which took me forever to adjust. Ranges in the first build where +- 1V for balance and +- 3V for offset.

This one also has the IXYS parts. Reserving the 1968's for the Megatron.

Now comes the hard part.

post-2299-0-75902300-1360197179_thumb.jp

post-2299-0-13989200-1360197207_thumb.jp

post-2299-0-68056600-1360197225_thumb.jp

Edited by eggil

The "white steel" is masking tape, essential for chassis work.

The 2U is pretty cramped but doable.  Nobody should be surprised though as I always try to cram amps into the smallest possible chassis.  Just see this work in progress, missing both the PSU's and a bunch of parts but there is no extra room in there.  :)

I used Kapton tape and raised the caps a couple of millimeters in my ongoing build as recommended by jwzhan and Spritzer. Looks ugly but no problems so far.

Just need to send the panels to FDP when I get the time to do it.

On another note, I regret selling my KGSSHV and 007 Mk1, but they went for a good cause: the 009's.

This one is not going anywhere, since currently don't have anything other than the SRD7 Mk2. 

The exstatas are long gone, and are not missed.

Edited by eggil

Well I received a shipment of boards from batchpcb recently. Problem is I noticed that the solder pads on the bottom of the PSU boards are totally covered in solder resist. Thankfully the amp boards are fine. I'm pretty sure the mistake isn't on my part (I double checked that batchpcb's layers and the files matched up) but just in case these are the files I used: http://www.mediafire.com/?9fb9joxmabyx9b0

I'll probably send a polite email expressing my displeasure to batchpcb, but it doesn't hurt to check with others first. I'll take some pics tomorrow when I have time.

Before I make an order with mouser, would anyone mind checking over part substitutions I've made? Some of the parts listed in ujamerstand's BOM are unavailable (or backordered) and I've tried to find a part with identical specs to replace it. Except for the bridge rectifier they're all caps. The original mouser part # is to the left and the substitution to the right:

512-KBU4M > 625-KBU6M-E4

80-C330C474M5R5CA > 80-C330C474M5R-TR

75-561R10TCCV47 > 75-561R10TCCV47BA

661-EKMH250VNN472MP > 661-ESMH350VNN472MP3 If the higher 35V rating doesn't really matter I'll grab the original cap here