i'm on a roll... the kgsshv

kevin gilmore

I’ve finished my KGSShv and have at last been able to listen to my SR-507. The amp has run for 10 hours so far and I have listened to it for the latter couple of those. It’s certainly working well. I have heard some beautiful music already. Thanks to members who so kindly helped with advice and offers to supply parts, and to those who've joined in my "mini group buy". It's been a pleasure hooking up with you.

I am really looking forward to getting to know this set-up and am already thinking of another version.

post-3955-0-20919400-1359200885_thumb.jp

I want to build a headamp with HV's input state and T2's output stae, but I am not really sure how to do.

Here's what I had posted a while back...

This version uses the KGSS front end and the output servo from the T2 - pretty much a blue Hawaii otherwise.  I built a version on bread board using the T2 style batteries and a modified input stage as well.  I'll look around for that too.

Here's the version with the active batteries to translate down to the bottom rail...

bluehawaiiabt2servo500v.gif

Here's my build of one channel to test it out...

misc014.JPG

EDIT:  I built this using 425V rails instead of 500V.  It simplified a number of things :)

Edited by Kerry

Awsome Kerry. What level of performance did you built it to achieve?

Just got my PSU for my off board working. Took me 3 attempts to get it going. In the first attempt, negative channel saw flying silicon due to fake Mosfet. Ixys10m90s and FPQF8n80c spouted silicon and also killed the 2n3904, 24v zener.

After repair, blew it again when I inserted the LT1021 the other way round melting the whole zener string taking out the 2n3904s and 24v zener.

Reapir done and its been on for the last hour and no explosions so far. Thanks to Kerry for pointng out that the 2n3904 also had to be changed.

Positive rail is +ve502v and negative at -ve500v.

post-2518-0-27502900-1359270281_thumb.jp

Edited by Victor Chew

The cap is there for stability so I'd recommend adding it. 

How hot do those sinks get? 

Edit:  No issues with plugging/unplugging headphones when the amp is on and playing. 

Thanks for that spritzer.

As for temp - I have not done accurate heatsink checks yet, other than to note that they are not too hot to touch! The room temp is 20C, the temp in the case next to the heatsinks with the lid on is about 40C. it's running about as warm as I expected, but I will do more checks and report back.

That's fine.  That was a print from LTSpice.

I've used the 2SC2240 in the active battery component of the power supply (KGSSHV) and wasn't able to measure the noise unless I shield my apartment.

Low noise and matched are both good things.

Congratulations on the project completion Wachara! Nice neat and compact.

My off board is near completion. It has been a hard build. Lining up the sand to the head sinks has been difficult and not to mention the earlier psu problems.

DC offset and balance are ok. Still need to wire and doll it up.

post-2518-0-87571900-1359696272_thumb.jp

post-2518-0-30615300-1359696284_thumb.jp

post-2518-0-69157100-1359696298_thumb.jp

post-2518-0-80470000-1359696306_thumb.jp

Edited by Victor Chew

My KGSSHV is done.  8)

The chassis and the heatsinks aren't very good match, but since I have them sitting around, I might as well just use them.

F5B75EBD-3BFD-402C-9D22-47587A52E671-342

1F7AEC3C-0A2F-47EE-9A91-A658F1AFA908-342

2E402177-015C-459F-93A3-E1F9643E0F58-125

It sounds really nice with all my DIY headphones.  Thanks Kevin for your wonderful amp design.

Wachara C.

That is very nice. Well done. I have been toying with that sort of layout for a few days and it is great to see you have it going.

I would be interested in how warm your room is and how hot your amp gets. Also what resistor /current have you set in the output stage?

Very best wishes

And I too echo your thanks to Kevin for the circuit and pcb design