How high can the JH13 scale?

adktitan

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My $0.02. I think the you'd better be served by investing in a source, rather an amp. From what I've seen, IEMs do indeed scale up to a great source, but I'm not sure at this point I can make that same argument for headphone amp.

Fuck, how did I miss this earlier? Thanks for the pennies, and yup, I think this is the direction to go. Thanks.

I would say a great source would be the answer, with the amp almost functioning as a buffer afterward (maybe?), so a better source I would think is my first step

Well not just a buffer specifically...... but an amp with low gain and a very good volume control is what you could consider once you have sauced things up.

No way I would choose a DNA Sonnet for the JH13s. I have not tried it with IEMs but I cannot imagine it would be quiet enough. They sound fantastic from high end solid state amps like the Luxman P-1, Luvdunhill's own FET-tastic creation, and even well-made tube gear like the TTVJ Peak and Pinnacle.

fuck boys, unhelpful, even if funny...I know they are better then crack, fuck...maybe this q is HF bound after all....
I actually kind of was answering your question -- I don't have a pair myself, but others have been jettisoning whole systems, but keeping the JH13. So I suspect the answer is, 'yes, they do scale well, and one would think, fairly high'. Based on zero experience, for the record.

I see no problem centering a system around them, just because they're IEM's. They're very well designed IEM's, from everything I've gathered.

That's true, and since they sound so good without external amplification, I think your take on it is probably more accurate. How could they possibly sound moar better?

That said, the underlying question -- whether or not they are "worthy" of centering a home system around -- the answer is obviously, 'yes'. I don't think their nature (IEM) should be an influence -- that was just a design choice by the manufacturer, because he thought he could get better sound than from headphones or earspeakers.

Well not just a buffer specifically...... but an amp with low gain and a very good volume control is what you could consider once you have sauced things up.

This is what I thought the Sonnet was capable of, I do want to sauce things up first...could Wild turkey work for the sauce...I think so...

No way I would choose a DNA Sonnet for the JH13s. I have not tried it with IEMs but I cannot imagine it would be quiet enough. They sound fantastic from high end solid state amps like the Luxman P-1, Luvdunhill's own FET-tastic creation, and even well-made tube gear like the TTVJ Peak and Pinnacle.

I have read that the SE version Sonnet matched the JH13's well as it has two gain's (low/high) and a good volume control (see above Beefy's comment). You have much more experience here, so for now, I'll put a ? next to my amp choice for myself and keep researching. Regardless, It's going to be source first for me. Thanks for the advice.

I actually kind of was answering your question -- I don't have a pair myself, but others have been jettisoning whole systems, but keeping the JH13. So I suspect the answer is, 'yes, they do scale well, and one would think, fairly high'. Based on zero experience, for the record.

I see no problem centering a system around them, just because they're IEM's. They're very well designed IEM's, from everything I've gathered.

I have gathered the same, but due to my inexperience with high end systems, I was unsure if i was wasting money for something that sounds good with everything, especially with the amp section, I think the biggest gain would be in the DAC itself...cheers...

There aren't any reviews from the final product since isn't finish but some experienced users here bough the JH3A on the sight after 1 minute listen, so maybe transforming the jh13 in JH3A would be a choice.

I had thought of it, but I like the flexibility of having my headphones separate from my system and if I want to go to other flavor of headphones down the line, I can...I like options...JH3A does not give as many at this time for me...

I will be using my JH13’s as my base headphone. I am looking to set up at home by going either:

iMac>PWD>DNA Sonnet>JH13 or

iMac>Northstar 192mk I>Sonnet>JH13

The amp's name is spelled Sonett. Geez how many people have to keep mis-spelling that when it's right there on the manufacturer's Web site? :basement:

As for the JH13, it scales up nicely but you don't need an overly nice setup to enjoy them. I routinely enjoy mine directly out of my MP3 player. How about you just use a Pico DAC into the Pico Slim for less money? (Which I tried and sounded pretty good.) Or you could try an Arcam rDac into the Pico Slim if you need more than just USB input. Or the future HeadAmp "Gilmore X2" which was recently announced on HF.