New toy

humanflyz

QUADZ!!!1!

So are those the 988's or 2805's, or whut?

Thrice is going to be so jealous.

They are a refurb pair of 63's with new panels, 988 grilles + protection circuits and proper WBT binding posts (and nice new black cloths). I think the old 63's look rather handsome - more so than the new ones, but the lack of tilt is an issue. They are very directional in the vertical plane, so I have some stands with adjustable tilt so I can get the central ring structure on axis for proper listening. They also wobble around like crazy as evidently PJ didn't see any need for proper feet on the bottom, so that needs addrssing as well.

I used to have a pair of 988's in another life so this is like coming home.

This has surprisingly little to do with headphone amplification.

Even better!

Too bad about the wobble, though. One of the things they "fixed" in the new 2805 and 2905 was to add a brace. (See the brochure for a pic.)

A very questionable move. They don't wobble or flex a great deal within their own structure, they just don't sit very well on a floor. I might try to remove the feet and see if I can replace them with something - they are just lumps of hard plastic, and not adjustable in any way.

I can see the brace as being useful for the 2905 with the extra height and consequently extra leverage of the panels against the base. I get the impression it is partially there to look 'cool'. I can't say I like the move, as it makes the speakers bigger and bulkier in all directions, and makes them modern. I find the simple wood panels on the 63 to be particularly elegant.