Recable of the 701's?

KenW

digipete has the K701s and did a very nice job recabling them balanced with Mogami. He might have done a comparison or two between other balanced cables as well. Send him a PM I am sure he'll share his opinion/experience with you. And it might help with your decision.

Hi Ken,

I did the work myself. Originally I had reterminated the stock cable.

AKG_701_001.jpg

Then I redid the whole thing with mogami quad neglex copper, and left it going into the left ear cup.

The one-sided entry is fine, don't really have a preference either way.

The mogami made the 701s a little bit brighter, much more resolving in the highs, more transparent and more neutral sounding all around.

Highflyin9 does nice work. I had some 880s redone by him, for very reasonable prices.

Pete

Haj, thanks for the link. I have the Siltech wire ready for my 701 recable. Now all I need is the freaking headphones. They have been "On Order" from AKG for 6 weeks now :'(

LOL...I'm sitting here with the headphones and can't find a recable source! If I can't find a source to do a good, clean job for me, heck, I might just sell the cans....AGAIN. Of course, they won't arrive until Thursday! ;)

I'd say the Equinox did such a great job with my Senns that it would have to be at the top of the list. The Zu was right behind it. From what I've been told, the Equinox for the 701 will be a new design made specifically for the 701. Not sure what that means in terms of characteristics and what it would do to the 701 sound.

I?ve been waiting for the back-order status to be over. I finally ordered when I thought the B/O was over and done with. I?m patient as far as waiting to order, but once I pull the trigger I am decidedly impatient.

Ethan, is there a reason you don't cancel whatever order has taken 6 weeks and just get them from Headroom since they say they have them in stock?