Favorite Albums of 2010

fishski13

just fave finds, not albums necessarily released in 2010. if there's a personal story behind the album, please share.

as a former aspiring double bassist, and Beethoven lover, i really love this album recorded by my hometown team. the 3 and 8 make for a wonderful album pairing.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4170[/ATTACH]

and when i want to get my groove on while slinging solder

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4171[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4172[/ATTACH]

and a late entry i picked up last week... fucking.amazing.album.period.especially.when.drunk.double..period..

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4173[/ATTACH]

post-2650-12951158913388_thumb.jpg

post-2650-12951158913746_thumb.jpg

post-2650-12951158914151_thumb.jpg

post-2650-12951158914396_thumb.jpg

Two that come to mind for me are:

Swallow The Sun - New Moon (although it was a late '09 release)

swallowthesun-thumb.jpg

and

Gangstagrass - Gangstagrass (web-only, limited release mp3, now vaporware unfortunately)

cover.jpg

I'm sure there are many, many more but I've been in a musical drought lately so my memory is badly faded.

2010 was all about classical for me. Lots of great rediscoveries for me, so nothing really new. Lots of Everest, Living Stereos, Mercury, Heifetz and Oistrakh.

Picked up quite a bit of it on vinyl too, which I always over looked but finding the right stuff just blows my mind how music so delicate can sound so good with what is basically a sharp rock dragging over a piece of plastic :)

I was disappointed with Arcade Fires new album, which I was hoping to love. The National High Violet was very good, but didn't grab me like their others. The new Deerhunter was great, but grew tired of quickly. There is probably more, but those 3 stand out in my head which is clogged up atm.

The National High Violet was very good, but didn't grab me like their others.

this album was my wife's stocking stuffer for jesus-day. i like what i hear so far, but i'm on an anti-indie kick these days and will probably hate it in a week.

this is another late entry as well...it's nice to see RA strum some heavy guitar shit.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4175[/ATTACH]

post-2650-12951158937975_thumb.jpg

For new music, I enjoyed the new Gorillaz for what it is, and the Grouplove e.p.

For new 'discoveries', Klezmatics would definitely be at the top. Also "Rushup Edge" by The Tuss (aphex twin).

Also enjoyed everything from the Analogue Productions sacd subscriptions, AudioWave XRCDs and everything I've got from the Esoteric SACDs series.

For 2011, I look forward to the same subscription series, and the upcoming epic Heifetz CD box.

Orbs, Asleep Next to Science -- RIYL Mars Volta, Coheed and Cambria, guys with high voices, metal, lots of changes, theatricality

Everything Everything, Man Alive -- indie poprock, but borders on progressive by being very intellectual

Pain of Salvation, Road Salt One -- far and away the best thing they've ever done -- they used to be a more generic prog metal band with a few standout tracks, this album is superb from beginning to end, with dynamics that's bordering on Pink Floyd-ian. Bonus points for an electric piano pervading pretty much the entire album.

Swallow the Sun, New Moon -- oh, hells yes. They bring it, whatever 'it' is. 'It' is brung...brought...whatever...

Void of Silence, Grave of Civilization -- doomy.

Demians, Mute -- imagine if Filter went all proggy.

The Ocean, Heliocentral (instrumental "karaoke" version of Heliocentric) -- not that I dislike the vocalist, I don't, but the all instrumental version of the album really got my attention and made me listen to it repeatedly, until I was addicted.

Whispers in the Shadow, The Eternal Arcane -- I fully expect to hear a comment that begins with, "I liked them better when it was the 90's and they were called..." ...Sisters of Mercy? Something like that. Not sure exactly what band they are reminding me of, but whoever it is, I really like them.

Krypteria, My Fatal Kiss -- goth metal with femme vox, I pretty much love everything in that genre.

Guilt Machine, On This Perfect Day -- more prog metal, another genre I love, especially when done well. Easily Arjen Anthony Lucassen's most focused effort.

Throes of Dawn, The Great Fleet of Echoes -- someone's been listening to their Blue Oyster Cult collection and taking notes! Excellent choice of influences, I might add.

While Heaven Wept, Vast Oceans Lachrymose -- prog goth metal -- the best of both worlds!

!!!, Strange Weather, Isn't It? -- not quite as good as their last album, but still good. Indie dance pop.

I really need to listen to synthpop, industrial, and dance music more -- I love synthesizer music.

Pineapple Thief, 3000 Days -- more of a rediscovery, every time I listen to these guys, I think to myself that I should listen to them more. Well, now I have. Spacey-prog, for the most part. And their weaker tracks are stronger than Porcupine Tree's weaker tracks, IMHO.

Still haven't listened (WTF?) -- Oceansize, Self Preserved While the Bodies Float Up

(makes a mental note to fix that ASAP)

Mankind is Obsolete -- accidentally discovered them when they opened for Android Lust -- totally dig, immediately. Loud, brash, chaotic, beautiful.

Edited by Dusty Chalk

Massive Attack - Heligoland

Didn't like it at first but the more I spun it, the more I came to like it and I'd say it's my 2nd favorite Massive Attack album after Mezzanine (replacing Protection which is now 3rd). My favorite tracks are Pray for Rain and Atlas Air.

Helloween - 7 Sinners

Just got into Helloween this year, and 7 Sinners was sorta my introduction to them. Lots of cool tracks, this album definitely makes me want to check out their previous CDs.

I bought tons of CDs by a lot of different metal bands this year and favorite new bands discovered include: Amorphis, Arcturus, Beyond Twilight, Iced Earth, In Flames, Gamma Ray, Symphony X.

Strickly 2010 albums, probably Tristania - Rubicon, but I only like songs off it, not the album as a whole. Beyond the Veil is still king for me from them.

Two that come to mind for me are:

Swallow The Sun - New Moon (although it was a late '09 release)

I saw them a few months ago. That was a fun concert, though mainly due to Katatonia.

Shame on you indeed, Ian. Fishski has botched up the rules and has included albums not released this year. I have not posted in protest while waiting for you to initiate the proper "Best albums of 2010" thread. :indra:

Furthermore, your lack of posting in the WAYLTN thread has caused me to miss Zo

For me this years top albums were:

Rob Dougan - Furious Angels (2002)

FuriousAngelsCover.jpg

and

Ludovico Einaudi - Nightbook (2009)

Nightbook.jpg

Just got Mr B The Gentleman Rhymers new album. Still waiting for the new Eiffel 65 album.

Not much discovery which I'm earnestly remembering in 2010 it seems.

l43549.jpg

As soon as I saw this thread, this was the first CD that I thought of, probably because it was a surprise, and mostly because it's one of very few cds that I've listened to from beginning to end at least 50 times, and haven't tired of it yet. Great song writing.

I'll post a couple more when I'm not feeling so lazy.

• 1 month later...