Record Store Day 2011

Asr

The in store release I'd like is the Grateful Dead first album in mono, but I'm not waking up 3 hours early then driving an hour to line up outside a store for that. A bunch of 7"s, singles and picture discs are neat, but I'm not one for novelty.

I'll be ordering the Flaming Lips box set, thank god that will be available online :)

A heads up, The Flaming Lips box set is up for sale now, 1000 only of the colored version:

http://www.flaminglips.com/store/product/heady-nuggs-first-5-warner-bros-records-1992-2002

Hey DP, you DO know that the colored ones are only 120 gram, and the in-store is 140 gram, so you have to get both, right?

(I'm trying to see if one of the two local shops here will have it in-store).

**BRENT**

Hey DP, you DO know that the colored ones are only 120 gram, and the in-store is 140 gram, so you have to get both, right?

(I'm trying to see if one of the two local shops here will have it in-store).

**BRENT**

It won't make any difference to me since my tonearm has adjustable VTA, and the difference between 120 and 140 (less than 1 mm thickness probably) won't matter even if you can't adjust VTA.

The colored version is now sold out, so grab one of the black boxes if the hipsters haven't bought them all. People are saying the sound quality is good.

Alright, thanks guys. Wasn't sure how many of the regular ones there would be, now I'm kinda bummed I didn't get the colored box. Glad you guys did, though. I hit four shops today, though, with three of them I've never been to before. Met some probably good people, so I'll head back at some point. There is shop I found, and independent CD store, who said he had first shot at RSD releases, but he passed on most everything... he just started carrying vinyl, and it seems to be kinda big with people the past few weeks, so I think he's going to expand.

He is going to put in an order for the FLips box, Foo Fighters cover album, Gorillaz (I think), and a Nirvana EP reissue "Hormoaning".

I'm pissed I didn't pick up the last copy of Green Day's "39/Smooth". I was too focused on hitting the only other shop supposedly participating (turns out they were on the big site, but in-store had NO idea of the "event".)

I did wind up picking up SOME stuff while there, though.

Criterion Collection LaserDiscs:

Akira

Spinal Tap

Samurai I

Samurai II

Samurai III

Now I'm going to need to get a LaserDisc player (or, you know, sell these).

**BRENT**

Edit: @JP, did you want a regular FLips box set too? The guy is pretty sure he can get them, and even asked if I wanted multiples (some other stores were only selling one of each item, it seems).

Edited by MexicanDragon

Wish I could go this year but can't justify it. Sold off my turntable to fund a couple other things...so hopefully by next year I'll have a setup again so I can get great deals on a bunch of records. Btw, anyone who lives in LA needs to go to Record Surplus on Pico. Wonderful record store that has an insane selection of Classic Rock, Jazz, Classical, Opera, etc. I only wish they had contemporary stuff...but there'es always Amoeba Records for that :)

I made it to 3 different stores, but not early enough to get several things I wanted (some of the Pink Floyd/Syd Barrett stuff, Kate Bush, Husker Du/Green Day single, and a few more).

Did pick up some pretty nice stuff, though, including some non-RSD vinyl.

Deepak: the Grateful Dead mono album is pretty widely available still; I saw it in 2 Bull Moose Music stores, as well as Newbury Comics. Bull Moose will put their extra inventory online for ordering as well, likely within a couple days they said.

I made it to 3 different stores, but not early enough to get several things I wanted (some of the Pink Floyd/Syd Barrett stuff, Kate Bush, Husker Du/Green Day single, and a few more).

Did pick up some pretty nice stuff, though, including some non-RSD vinyl.

Deepak: the Grateful Dead mono album is pretty widely available still; I saw it in 2 Bull Moose Music stores, as well as Newbury Comics. Bull Moose will put their extra inventory online for ordering as well, likely within a couple days they said.

Todd thanks for the heads up, I realized last night the usual audiophile dealers will be getting them online. I'm going to pass on it though.

Heh, I just bothered to see if any stores were listed in Tallahassee. Hard to imagine that Da Plugg would be ordering many obscure indie 7" stock for RSD. I delivered chicken there once. There were hardly any records but lots of paraphernalia inside and dealers outside. I'd never seen a $399 silver crackpipe before. I failed to get a picture on my phone before the dude came back from the office with my money. It was pretty special though.