I wish I had a time machine...

Edwood

I've really been getting into Multichannel SACD's and DVD-A's lately.

Too bad they're all pretty much dead formats. And many of my favorites are out of print, and going for insane prices on fleaBay and such.

Captain Hindsight says, you should've bought them when they were first out to begin with! OK my job is done here, goodbye!!! <whoosh>

<sigh>

-Ed

They're not completely dead -- especially if you're into good old jazz reissues and some classical (SACD) and/or King Crimson and/or Porcupine Tree and related (DVD-A).

But yeah, I'm kicking myself for not getting the complete Peter Gabriel collection when they were new. The ones I'm missing are the expensive ones.

Just got a German import of the Semyon Bychkov conducted Multichannel SACD of Verdi - Requiem.

Was pretty much a blind buy based on a review on SA-CD.net.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001B223T2/?tag=sacdinfocom08-21

Took a about 2 weeks to get it from Amazon.co.uk. But so worth it.

It's up there with my favorite 1968 recording with the Vienna Philharmonic and Opera.

Going to give the Multichannel a go, so far just gave the redbook layer a spin.

-Ed

They're not completely dead -- especially if you're into good old jazz reissues and some classical (SACD) and/or King Crimson and/or Porcupine Tree and related (DVD-A).

But yeah, I'm kicking myself for not getting the complete Peter Gabriel collection when they were new. The ones I'm missing are the expensive ones.

I'm mixed on this. I bought a DVP-S9000ES in 2001 or so. I also grabbed quite a few SACDs on the way. Now, post format-wars, I have enough to consider just getting a high-zoot universal player so I don't have to part with some of the titles. I don't know where that leaves me. :blink: I'd almost like to just go back to having just a sweet CD player and a turntable.

Also, for buying new and used music, if you want to avoid flea-bay, you might wander out to gemm.com. I've not used them but heard good things about it.

http://gemm.com/

Edited by bhjazz

Gemm -- being a bit of a flea-market -- is a mixed bag. Yes, there are some very good sellers there, but there are also some absolute criminals...well, alright, technically, they're not criminals, because they're not forcing you to buy their wares, but the prices strike me as...well, a bit much.

My point: know what you're doing when you go in there.

And yes: vinyl is a good alternative, if you don't have access to a time machine, or infinite resources.