Easiest solution for laptop to DAC

swt61

I've got an HP G56 laptop (no digital out), and I'd like an easy (read cheap) solution to route all of my iTunes music into my DAC. My Adcom GDA 700 DAC has toslink, S/PDIF, and AES/EBU, but no USB.

Is there an outboard soundcard of some type that would work well for me? Or another solution that is cost effective, as I do plan on getting the Cambridge iPod dock at some point in the near future, and won't need the laptop at that point. I'm not up to date on CPU based music systems.

Don't know if it is the best solution but you could get an Airport Express for $99 and wireless stream to the DAC (it has optical out). Works well with itunes. I think it will only handles 16/44 though if you happen to have a lot of high-res stuff. Also, there is a slight lag between when you click on a song on the laptop and when it gets to the DAC. Not usually a problem though (only if I am randomly shuffling through songs trying to find something I'm in the mood for, then the lack of speed can annoy me). If I am listening to a full album, it is not a problem.

Edit: The easiest solution is of course, to get an Macbook Air or Mac Mini. :D

Edited by shellylh

I love the V-Link and would recommend it normally over APX (though I have three), if you're just connecting a laptop to a DAC, but the APX may even make the Cambridge iPod dock unnecessary as you could use AirTunes with your iPhone (or iPad). Course if you're actually using an iPod with the iPod dock, that wouldn't work.