Best drink for improving your listening experience

aerius

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

how the hell would you know what someone else inferred? did you mean "implied?" if that's the case, i think he implied no such thing.

LOL - Time to get your dictionary out Rex! Infer and Imply are strong synonyms...Although some use infer to mean "to conclude", I was using it to mean "to hint at", which is completely legitimate.

In reply #22, it was certainly hinted at...at least in the way I read the language.

• 2 months later...

For improving the listening experience there is nothing better than Hendricks Gin & Britvic Crown Cap Tonic, double measured and with cucumber. I find that other drinks have their place though. I like scotch when I'm on the jazz and red wine when I'm in a classical mood.

• 3 weeks later...

God, I fucking love Top Gear. Too bad the BBC doesn't bring it here to the states. Now, I'm not a media pirate, but if you deny me my favorite show for no reason that I can see, well, then it's not really a moral question anymore.

I find gin to very much be an aquired taste, but I like it, either straight up or in the gin & tonic variety. My friends think I'm nuts and can't stand the stuff though.

Still, it has to be said that alcohol does NOT in general enhance my audio perception. It tends to make me lose focus and shortens the attention span. I can't really appreciate the finer subtleties of the music I'm listening to, though often it does enhance my ability to go along with the flow of the music. So, psytrance and the like goes down a lot better, but ambient electronica tends to go over my head, and classical is just too complex to be fully appreciated except when you're sober.

But, the gods blessed us with many other things besides alcohol, and some of them, together with the right music (and the right system) have produced a full-blown mystical experience. And by mystical, I mean the type where you're completely shattered and have to rebuild your mind piece by piece for hours afterwards.

Hm... seems I can't go a post without mentioning at least two crimes in it. Oh well.

But, the gods blessed us with many other things besides alcohol, and some of them, together with the right music (and the right system) have produced a full-blown mystical experience. And by mystical, I mean the type where you're completely shattered and have to rebuild your mind piece by piece for hours afterwards.

Hm... seems I can't go a post without mentioning at least two crimes in it. Oh well.

Most of the substances that I've experienced that resemble what you're talking about don't REALLY enhance music. But what they do is forever change how you look at life. For better or for worse.

Most of the substances that I've experienced that resemble what you're talking about don't REALLY enhance music. But what they do is forever change how you look at life. For better or for worse.

In my experience, that very much depends. Some do, some don't. Tryptamines (ex. psilocybin) tend to really alter the very fundamentals of your thought processes and can very much produce life-altering results. They may enhance your perceptions of the music, but perceiving music is usually the last thing on your mind (such as it is at the time). Phenethylamines (2C-B) on the other hand will leave your central processes more or less intact, while thoroughly scrambling your perceptions. They can definitely enhance the music, or perhaps a more accurate description would be "alter the music." Salvia Divinorum (which is in its own category entirely) definitely alters your perceptions of the music a great deal, but using that stuff as a music enhancer is like using a nuclear warhead to hammer in nails. Good ol' Lucy definitely does enhance the music to a great degree, and you tend to simply get lost in the spaces between the sounds. Some of the most astonishing musical experiences I've ever had have come from this. And your basic greens enhance your ability to perceive microdetail immensely, but at the same time they also reduce your ability to focus, as well as hurting your short-term memory, so it's a great listening session while it lasts, but you tend to not take away anything useful from it.

Of course, in audio we say "everyone's ears are different," and when it comes to neurochemistry, that's even more true.

• 1 year later...
In my experience, that very much depends. Some do, some don't. Tryptamines (ex. psilocybin) tend to really alter the very fundamentals of your thought processes and can very much produce life-altering results. They may enhance your perceptions of the music, but perceiving music is usually the last thing on your mind (such as it is at the time). Phenethylamines (2C-B) on the other hand will leave your central processes more or less intact, while thoroughly scrambling your perceptions. They can definitely enhance the music, or perhaps a more accurate description would be "alter the music." Salvia Divinorum (which is in its own category entirely) definitely alters your perceptions of the music a great deal, but using that stuff as a music enhancer is like using a nuclear warhead to hammer in nails. Good ol' Lucy definitely does enhance the music to a great degree, and you tend to simply get lost in the spaces between the sounds. Some of the most astonishing musical experiences I've ever had have come from this. And your basic greens enhance your ability to perceive microdetail immensely, but at the same time they also reduce your ability to focus, as well as hurting your short-term memory, so it's a great listening session while it lasts, but you tend to not take away anything. useful from it.

Of course, in audio we say "everyone's ears are different," and when it comes to neurochemistry, that's even more true.

Astoundingly good stuff....the temporal lobe can be an "adult romper room" indeed.....this tempered with the impulsive nature of the frontal lobe can make for some esoteric experiences...nice post