Stax Teflon Jacks - More of them

justin

here is the proposed jack redesign. it is smaller (1x1") which is 60% the area of the last ones. the screw holes will fit #4 or M3 screws. washers/nuts can be up to 0.3" diameter before going off the corners. the diameter of the center is 0.700" so it will fit as a replacement for an original Stax jack. after measuring my Stax connectors, I think the original drawing had the pins spaced about 0.005" too far apart (if anyone can confirm, please let me know) so I have adjusted this.

staxteflon.jpg

no. if the front panels are thin, then you would use a nut on the other side.

another option (that would increase cost) would be to thread 2 of the holes (diagonally) and leave the other 2 unthreaded. or i could thread all the holes, but not with M3, it would have to be M4 or #6-32.

No worries, them I guess, as an option, we could thread it ourselves. Could I have 4 jacks please? What is the height of the round stax portion please?

you can thread it but it would have to be larger than M3

the height of that is .250"

here is the proposed jack redesign. it is smaller (1x1") which is 60% the area of the last ones. the screw holes will fit #4 or M3 screws. washers/nuts can be up to 0.3" diameter before going off the corners. the diameter of the center is 0.700" so it will fit as a replacement for an original Stax jack. after measuring my Stax connectors, I think the original drawing had the pins spaced about 0.005" too far apart (if anyone can confirm, please let me know) so I have adjusted this.

My jacks followed the original plans directly; and some of my jacks are tighter than others. I think it depends on how the pins are inserted and soldered to the adapter pcb. One of them had a smooth fit before I soldered the pcb adapter on. After I soldered the pins to the pcb, more force is required to insert and remove the jack...

I'm aways curious about how solid teflon machined parts, especially any press fits, are expected to work for decades - has teflon creep, stress relaxation been taken into account?

machining vs application temp can be a mechanical dimension tolerance issue too with a (crystal transition?) thermal expansion coefficient peak occurring around room temp - close to 1% volume change in range from 60 - 90 F

http://www.rjchase.c...fe_handbook.pdf

I would expect chassis mounting pretty much requires spring washers with flat washer - since I certainly have >60-90 F range in my apt over the course of a year

solid polystyrene stock is also available - different problems, still great electrical properties

Edited by jcx

I have three sets of pins here, the originals I took from the conex sockets,

The luvdunhill pins and the newest ones from Justin. All are slightly

Different in diameter and the bigger ones require a slightly bigger drill

Than my original print.

Machining Teflon is a pain, I used water cooling to prevent creep.

What I will eventually do is make some from macor and then there won't

Be any dimensional change ever. And they will be $ 300 each

Edited by kevin gilmore