Just received Windows 8 Vaio Ultrabook. Win 8, are they kidding me?

Jon L

8295301859_86b7304154_c.jpg

EOSD1426 by drjlo1, on Flickr

The 13.3" Vaio Ultrabook certainly looks great and is very portable (compared to the 15.6" Asus), which is why I bought it. But after messing around with Windows 8, I just could NOT stand it. Bypassing Win 8 by installing "Skip Metro Suite" and "Classic Shell" is highly recommended.

Edited by Jon L
  • Like 1

I've been using 8 since the prereleases and I really don't see what all the fuss is about. If you don't like the tile interface, it just takes one click on the "desktop" button to make it go away. As for not having a start menu, the functionality is easily replaced by just hitting the windows key and typing the first few letters of what you are looking for.

Is it intuitive? Not really, but if you put in a few hours to learn it its very hard to understand what the ZOMG-WIN8-IZ-TURRIBLE fuss is all about.

UI "intuitiveness" varies by person, so I'm not surprised there's a range of reactions.  Just playing with a Win 8 tablet at a store for about 10 minutes, I was picking up the concepts well enough; but I still prefer the older interface.  I HAVE heard about some 3rd party programs that are having issues installing or running in 8; but that's not s surprise either....

I also prefer Win 7, have done some things (probably some of what the Tuneup Utilities do, though not likely as much) to make it more streamlined.  I find the combination of strength & stability to be very good.