The Knuckledragger 3rd Memorial Slow Forum Post

Knuckledragger

Kind of an unusual format (1/2" stereo) but there are folks who might be interested in exactly that. 

The Tape Project have released limited editions of their limited editions in that format for very well heeled audiophiles. And while most have gone out and had Ampex ATR100 series machines set up for that there are other folks who might jump at the chance to buy your machine and refurb it to hear what these tapes are capable of (which is pretty amazing IMHO).

I would put it on ebone with a high reserve and professional packing (pallet or custom wooden crate) shipping rates.

I'm with you there Kevin. The sheer mechanical beauty of an A700 is the thing that gets me going. But it would collect dust.

Mind you, I know of at least one long-term vinyl junkie who is so paranoid about wear that he puts them onto tape at the first play and then stores the vinyl never to be played again. To me that just defeats the whole point of the vinyl thing.

A friend of mine has a project to transfer 11k lp's to high rez digital. For the most part, the idea is to provide a way for his daughter and other friends and family to be able to hear his collection of Decca records.

He was about half way done that last time I heard.

Regarding the A700, a great "looking" machine but kind of a POS (as evidenced by their absence in the used market-but not in the landfills). The PR99 was a much better machine and closer to the Studers which reached the top of the heap while they were still being produced.

I would bet that Knuck's Otari is probably a really nice machine. I've worked on plenty of the 5050 series machines and they don't take much to bring back to factory spec. One of the best 1/2" 2 track machines I've listened to was an Otari MTR 20.

• 2 weeks later...