School/Gaming Laptop Recommendations

I'm looking for ideas for a PC (non-Mac) laptop that can go to school daily, can do homework that is online-based (meaning Google docs, etc.), and can be a decent gaming machine for Steam-based games. It doesn't really need an optical drive and it should be light enough to carry daily. Probably 14.6-17" screen. The budget needs to be reasonable, but I don't want to be too limiting so I can get a good idea of the options. Thanks in advance for any input and specific models you can recommend.

I recently bought the MSI GT70, but that thing is a beast -- has all four:  ssd, hard drive, optical drive and 17" screen -- so I wouldn't recommend it for a daily carry.  You may want to look at their others in line, as they are supposed to be good for gaming (the trick with gaming is in the graphics card, not just an upper echelon computer all the way around [that, but not just that]).

Depends what reasonable means for budget, and how he values gaming performance vs. portability.  The Asus G751JT-CH71 would be a pretty insane gaming laptop for about $1500.  For the more portable and even more awesomer, the Origin EVO15-S PRO looks like it would be pretty much perfect, though it starts at more like $2200.  For a bit cheaper and more portable than the Asus, at the expense of gaming performance, I'd look at the MSI GS60 Ghost in the $1100-1300 price range.

Edited by cetoole

Lol @ "up to 240 minutes." Trying to make 4 hours seem like more than it really is. Real world performance would be what? 2 hours? 

All three games you mentioned, Al, are available for mac so any consideration for a macbook air? I have run css on it in the past and it runs just fine. I know you mentioned non mac but given that the games are available for mac without any wrappers or emulators and how light the air is, it might be appreciated in the long run. The extra pound or 2 got to be after a while especially if other things are in the backpack. 

For the absolute newest games, yes, the air would be a crappy gaming machine. For the 15 year old 1.6, 10 year old css and gmod, 4 year old csgo, I doubt one needs a super beefy gfx card. Besides I've played those games (besides robocraft) on a macbook air without issue. Didn't run at 300fps but I got a pretty good 100 - 120 fps. No, I am not baiting anyone into a what fps humans can really see and whether one should bother past 60fps. 

I appreciate the input guys. Battery life is not important to him Because he is able to plug in most of the time at school. I don't think I could sell him on a Mac and he has had numerous of them around to assess. And weight is not a huge issue although he may have to walk more/longer getting home next semester.

My alienware m17 has been an absolute workhorse for the last 5 years. I think that's a very good lifespan for a gaming laptop and it'll still play just about anything out there. It's not much of a laptop though with 60min run times on battery and weighing in around 10lbs. I haven't priced them in a while but figure north of 2k.

• Like 1

Yeah, was not suggesting a mac at all and was going by some of the suggestions we use at EIU for students who want a laptop for use in the classroom as opposed to as a desktop replacement at home. We suggest a real world battery lifetime of 4-5 hours because although we have places to plug-in all over campus, in most lecture classrooms you really have to use the laptop on battery. So if you have 2 or  3 classes in a row, the 4-5 hours is a minimum with some reasonable reserve. As far as size we also recommend 15" as a maximum size because most classroom desks are not huge and people get pissed when you open up your 17" behemoth and push them over to the side.