Jump to content
justin

HiFiMAN Shangri-la Jr. Electrostatic Headphones

Recommended Posts

Justin, do they sell it in a Combo with the amplifier ? Or can you buy just headphones only ? If so, how much ?

 

Edited by Whitigir

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Whitigir said:

Justin, do they sell it in a Combo with the amplifier ? Or can you buy just headphones only ? If so, how much ?

 

yes. right now we just ordered the headphones by themselves. They are $5k

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, justin said:

yes. right now we just ordered the headphones by themselves. They are $5k

W0W! Better sound much more impressive than an SR009!

btw, how and where did you ordered them ?

Edited by Whitigir

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That cable just makes me cringe... was there nothing else available except cheap techflex?  :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Whitigir said:

W0W! Better sound much more impressive than an SR009!

btw, how and where did you ordered them ?

I'm a HiFiMAN dealer!

12 minutes ago, spritzer said:

That cable just makes me cringe... was there nothing else available except cheap techflex?  :)

i think you need to buy one and check it out in person

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ooh come on spritzer, it's like 10x cheaper than it's bigger brother not much room left for an expensive cable..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, SeaWolf said:

Ooh come on spritzer, it's like 10x cheaper than it's bigger brother not much room left for an expensive cable..

Uh huh, using that anology, reliability immediately comes to mind

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Laowei said:

Has the V2 been announced yet? 

usually about two months after the first one has been released

 

25 minutes ago, SeaWolf said:

But, but, they are now using metal and not plywood..

and susvara is more expensive than this one. by fan biang's logic, the result should be susvara>shangrila jr.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Whitigir said:

Uh huh, using that anology, reliability immediately comes to mind

Speaking of reliability, I was at CanJam NYC this year, they had a HiFiMan table and the Shangri-La Sr. amp was on display - but it wasn't working. Quoth the HFM rep, "Well, it's been shipped around a lot." Uh-huh.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, justin said:

i think you need to buy one and check it out in person

You terrible tempter you!!!  :huh:

3 hours ago, JimL said:

Speaking of reliability, I was at CanJam NYC this year, they had a HiFiMan table and the Shangri-La Sr. amp was on display - but it wasn't working. Quoth the HFM rep, "Well, it's been shipped around a lot." Uh-huh.

That just can't be with their stellar report of excellent build quality!!!  :ph34r:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh come on, you have  to go big or go home, what's this "Jr" nonsense? You want the "corrupt regional government official"-priced system, complete with the Bladerunner brothel-looking amp! Moar shinies=moar bettar. So what if neither the amp nor the drivers will  last very long, you'll be too busy shopping for private jets to notice.

Edited by Kattefjaes
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Kattefjaes said:

Oh come on, you have  to go big or go home, what's this "Jr" nonsense? You want the "corrupt regional government official"-priced system, complete with the Bladerunner brothel-looking amp! Moar shinies=moar bettar. So what if neither the amp nor the drivers will  last very long, you'll be too busy shopping for private jets Lamborghini's and mail-order brides to notice.

Fixed.....

Edited by skullguise
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, joch said:

My budget is tight. Will this work with one of those Chinese made KGSS on Taobao?

You may need the Chinese T2, to be safe :ph34r:

Edited by Kattefjaes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why KgSS on taobao ? Jr has an dedicated amp by HFM itself.  The JR use bias Pro, so anything with that, reliability issues aside :D

Edited by Whitigir

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Kattefjaes said:

You may need the Chinese T2, to be safe :ph34r:

I doubt the Taobao cheapo T2 would be "safer"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wasn’t there a water cooled T2 on Taobao awhile back? What could go wrong with that? :wacko:

Edited by Laowei
Phat phingers and phucking iPhone

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Whitigir said:

Why KgSS on taobao ? Jr has an dedicated amp by HFM itself.  The JR use bias Pro, so anything with that, reliability issues aside :D

I wonder what's HFM's track record on amps 🤔

From their website on the Shang system... I'm no expert but I thought resistors should be soldered flushed to the board?

 

IMG_2014.PNG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, joch said:

I wonder what's HFM's track record on amps 🤔

From their website on the Shang system... I'm no expert but I thought resistors should be soldered flushed to the board?

 

IMG_2014.PNG

For HV, it’s best practice to space the resistor body off contacting the PCB to prevent any possible stray shorts or arcing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In reality this is never needed if the resistors are the right type for the job.  PRP crappy engineering non-withstanding...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×