Thinking about getting an L3000...

deepak

Very nice. :D That is exactly what I've been looking for. I've heard those descriptions time after time. It just is that good, eh? ;D

Time to update siggie? ;)

Updated :)

Yup undoubtedly the king of rock. Those interested my HP-2 will probably be for sale at the end of July.

• Replies 420
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

postjack: I feel I'd be ripping you off with that trade. I just couldn't do that to ya man.

Further listening impressions: I've finally got around to playing NIN. Hearing The Downward Spiral has brought a tear to my eye.

Katsumoto: Perfect... They are all... perfect...

The L3000 are badass cans, no doubt. I recently did a brief back-to-back comparison between the R10s and the L3000s. I had my entire rig and Black Sabbath's War Pigs playing. No comparison the L3000s killed the R10s. The R10s sounded bright, thin, brittle, and lifeless--like shy little girly cans. I can't even think I would prefer the R10s with jazz. I suppose classical is the only caveat I'll concede to the R10s. Since the L3000s have an intimate soundstage, but with my new source there's more depth extending outside the soundstage--pointblank it's larger. Yet still the R10s had a larger soundstage.

The L3000 are badass cans, no doubt. I recently did a brief back-to-back comparison between the R10s and the L3000s. I had my entire rig and Black Sabbath's War Pigs playing. No comparison the L3000s killed the R10s. The R10s sounded bright, thin, brittle, and lifeless--like shy little girly cans. I can't even think I would prefer the R10s with jazz. I suppose classical is the only caveat I'll concede to the R10s. Since the L3000s have an intimate soundstage, but with my new source there's more depth extending outside the soundstage--pointblank it's larger. Yet still the R10s had a larger soundstage.

Well yeah, if you do instant switch back-and-forth between the R10 and L3000s, of course the R10 will sound thin and brittle.

I like the L3000 soundstage for rock and jazz. More depth would be nice though, I suppose that's hard to pull off in a closed/non-deep woody.

The L3000 do rock Sabbath like no one's business.

Well yeah, if you do instant switch back-and-forth between the R10 and L3000s, of course the R10 will sound thin and brittle.

How do you define instant? :P

I've heard the R10s more than a few times and have had extended listening sessions with them. They've only awed me once--the first time I heard them. I really like the R10s a great deal; in fact, they're one of my favorite dynamic headphones. But the L3000s is the undisputed rock king.

Soon I'll be joining the team. I think I'm pretty much done with headphones after this though, because I can't think of any other headphone that I want to own, not even the Orpheus.

Sweet. The K1000/L3000 contrast each other perfectly. I'd be content with just those two.

Soon I'll be joining the team. I think I'm pretty much done with headphones after this though, because I can't think of any other headphone that I want to own, not even the Orpheus.

I don't even think the Orpheus outperform the L3000s when it comes to rock.

I've heard it out of the HEV90 and the ES-1 as well, and I want to say I've heard it out of a KGSS, which is still one of the best electrostatic headphone amps I've ever heard. I also imagine it'd be good out of the Blue Hawaii, though I've never heard that particular combination.

And because I have a lot of white noise in my environment -- air filter and fans at home, probably getting an air filter for work, in addition to computer and well -- lots of work environment type background noise. So I'm going for the 4070's eventually.

Also, my criteria for "handling" hard rock might be different than everyone else's. My most primary two criteria are lack of congestion (which seems to be a real problem with most equipment) and lack of long-term listening fatigue (which is just plain practical -- I tend to do a lot of long-term listening). Prat, although important, is not as important as those two. Detail is way down there, but tends to be at least 'good' in cans that don't congest upon being thrown ridiculously "busy" music.

Remember -- this coming from a guy who used to do all his heavy listening on an RKV.

No, but if you do figure it out, please let me know, as I have yet to figure out a good amp to combine with it. The best I've found so far is the Creek OBH-11SE. If I can't wrap my head around this weird sonic signature, it's going. I need to find another headphone with similar prat, though, so that may be a tall order.

No, but if you do figure it out, please let me know, as I have yet to figure out a good amp to combine with it. The best I've found so far is the Creek OBH-11SE. If I can't wrap my head around this weird sonic signature, it's going. I need to find another headphone with similar prat, though, so that may be a tall order.

It sounds really good out of my Melos (I encourage you to hear this combo), but more powerful output tubes might open up the soundstage more.

Amp suggestions for the L3000? I know SP is getting a pretty bad rep, but I'm considering a used one :-\

The amp needs to have a pre-amp out, right now I'm leaning towards a MPX3 SE.

I highly suggest the Zana Deux. I think a tube amp is the way to go with the L3000s too.

I highly suggest the Zana Deux. I think a tube amp is the way to go with the L3000s too.

A bit out of my price range right now, and I haven't seen a used one for sale in a long time. At around $2000 I'd seriously be considering a custom built amp.

The MPX3 SE is around $1300-1400 used.

The upgraded MPX3 I heard didn't sound that good with the stock electro harmonix tubes--not to my liking at all. Yet $100+ NOS 6SN7 tubes (at least $300 total cost) made a substantial difference for the better. Even with NOS tubes the MPX3 had a somewhat slow, slightly congested, and small cavern like presentation. The high end Eddie Current amps such as the EC2A3s and ZDs don't suffer the same even with stock tubes. Unless you compared them it isn't something so easy to notice.

The upgraded MPX3 I heard didn't sound that good with the stock electro harmonix tubes--not to my liking at all. Yet $100+ NOS 6SN7 tubes (at least $300 total cost) made a substantial difference for the better. Even with NOS tubes the MPX3 had a somewhat slow, slightly congested, and small cavern like presentation. The high end Eddie Current amps such as the EC2A3s and ZDs don't suffer the same even with stock tubes. Unless you compared them it isn't something so easy to notice.

You're right I might need to hear both. Which I can certainly wait to do, this amp upgrade isn't going to be in the near future.

Did you hear the MPX with the 6BX7 output tubes (the SE runs them at higher voltage, and IIRC the SE is upgraded to close to a Supra)? Almost everyone feels they're an improvement over 6SN7 (as output).