Thinking about getting an L3000...

deepak

So I'm pretty close to graduation and I haven't really bought myself anything nice since February. I was initially going to get a very nice watch, but the last few weeks I've really been considering the L3000. It doesn't help that I didn't like them at the last Boston meet, but I'd like to give them another shot. Basically I'd like a more bassy, fun alternative to my two main headphones.

I see the K1000s deficiency with rock music now that I have the HP-2. The HP-2 doesn't exaggerate bass, so it's great for those pristine recordings, but not so great for the poorly done stuff (where basslines/dynamics are buried). They've also been getting the majority of my head time since I mostly listen to classic rock and onwards.

"what are you listening to thread" is an accurate representation of what I listen to.

• Replies 420
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Buy them >:D

Try them for a few weeks, if they don't float your boat sell them and get that watch. All the recent ones I've seen for sale have sold within a day or two and probably for the asking price too.

I've had mixed experiences with the K-1000s. I liked the HP-2s when I heard them, but they didn't offer the same dynamics, impact, bass and soundstage as the L3000s. Though, the HP-2s were very neutral and slightly flat in comparison. But I didn't want to buy the HP-2s after hearing them, yet that happened after hearing the L3000s. I primarily listen to pretty much all things rock related and some jazz. I don't think I've heard a better headphone especially for rock. Some might find the L3000s a bit warm and slightly dark, but they are very musical, transparent, and also for better or worse the most sensitive headphones I've ever heard.

Thanks 909, I liked your review on headphonereviews.org

humanflyz: I was wowed by the PS-1 when I heard them. But every time I kept turning them up to drown out ambient noise from the meet the bass and air it pushed become too much and I had to turn them down again. A John Coltrane track on my test disc was the only one that was well balanced.

What amp did you use with the PS-1? I found that some amps have more control over the bass than others. The tightest I heard the PS-1 was with a Headcode Triad, but the Ear++ with a GE 5751 was really good, too.

Unfortunately, I've only heard the L3000 briefly but for what you're looking for, I'd strongly second the suggestions to look into the PS-1 as well. Difficult to find one though.

What amp did you use with the PS-1? I found that some amps have more control over the bass than others. The tightest I heard the PS-1 was with a Headcode Triad, but the Ear++ with a GE 5751 was really good, too.

Unfortunately, I've only heard the L3000 briefly but for what you're looking for, I'd strongly second the suggestions to look into the PS-1 as well. Difficult to find one though.

Heard it with the HR-2, B52 and MAD Ear+ HD

As long as you get it used you should be fine...

the L3000 isn't currently in production is it? I thought it was OOP and used was the only option. Unless you are referring to potential NOS sets.

Forgive me, I don't know too much about this can at all, or AT cans in general.

the L3000 isn't currently in production is it? I thought it was OOP and used was the only option. Unless you are referring to potential NOS sets.

Forgive me, I don't know too much about this can at all, or AT cans in general.

Sorry about that, you are correct, they are obviously all used, I think I meant just make sure the price you get them at is what you can turnaround. $2000 seems to be about right. I absolutely love the PS-1's but they are going for around the same price, and at that level I might go for the L3000 based purely on looks, as it sure looks pretty. Those two seem to be the rock favorites of the high end cans.

Does anyone remember the good ole days when PS-1's used to go for $850? sigh...

Leaning more towards the L3000 than a watch.

Have you ever considered purchasing a fine writing instrument?

Perhaps a urushi pen from Nakaya:

cigaro0112d0864oo4.jpg

Retail on most Nakaya Urushi pens are $500-600, actually a good price considering the labor involved.

Or perhaps you are more of a maki-e guy:

tndsc0723712e3fcbbb9.jpg

tndsc0724012e764cxq7.jpg

Retail on this pen is $18,000 :o, but I know a guy who can get it for you at a mere $13,000. :dance:

jpak: yeah, fountain pens are no good for carbon copy forms.

postjack, do you know anything or better have an opinion about Krone writing instruments?

I have never written with a Krone, but in general I find them waaaay gaudy and completely over the top. Some of their designs are attractive to me, but the very high prices keep me away. I've never spent more then $200 on a fountain pen, but if I do its going to be on a Bexley, Nakaya, or a Pilot (like the custom 823). edit: or a sailor or an omas.