Thinking about getting an L3000...

deepak

• Replies 420
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps it's time for me to attempt an acquisition. A few months ago, I would have definitely wanted one. But now, most asking prices are way over-the-top, and I'm running low on funds. I don't know if I'll can financially afford to have one of these in my possession. (Too many eggs in one basket; an market inflated basket.) We'll see. I might just end up with one by the end of the summer. ;D

Perhaps it's time for me to attempt an acquisition. A few months ago, I would have definitely wanted one. But now, most asking prices are way over-the-top, and I'm running low on funds. I don't know if I'll can financially afford to have one of these in my possession. (Too many eggs in one basket; an market inflated basket.) We'll see. I might just end up with one by the end of the summer. ;D

Just keep an eye out for the right deal, or anyone hinting at selling one. I certainly wouldn't have sprung for them at the $2500 they seem to command sometimes nowadays, and only did so because I found a reasonable deal. I didn't get the box, but I also didn't have to pay near that much.

I can't really say yet, as I definitely don't have the right tube combo yet. It certainly sounds nice, but nothing could really be worth the ridiculous bs I had to go through. Supposedly more tubes are on the way...

The L3000 sounds great unamped though.

EDIT: I'm running Tungsol 5998's with a Sylvania 6sn7gtb... obviously not the best combo with the L3k.

Just keep an eye out for the right deal, or anyone hinting at selling one. I certainly wouldn't have sprung for them at the $2500 they seem to command sometimes nowadays, and only did so because I found a reasonable deal. I didn't get the box, but I also didn't have to pay near that much.

Haha yeah. Hopefully I have enough funds to work with when something good does show up.

There was one listed a few days ago. The seller hasn't bumped the thread yet, can't remember the asking price.

Hmm, I think they're all gone though. :P

In the Extreme thread Mikhail recommended the 5998 for Senns, and the 6080 for Grados. I assume this is analogous to high/low Z respectively.

Someone compiled an Excel spreadsheet with tube combos/headphone synergy in the amp forum at Headfi. Worth a download- a few L3000 owners commented.

Small update:

they extend further than than the HP-2 both top and bottom. And the bass is slightly more textured and the midrange more detailed. Right now they're on par or better than the HP-2. The HP-2 has more depth to the soundstage whereas the L3000 places deep sounds slightly to the left or right instead of further out. But it still has good depth.

Acoustic bass guitar is its strong point. You can feel the vibration followed by a pleasant decay. Electric guitars also sound more exciting and more twangy. Tonality of various guitars is faithfully reproduced.

Best PRaT out of any headphone I've ever heard.

Very nice. :D

Acoustic bass guitar is its strong point. You can feel the vibration followed by a pleasant decay. Electric guitars also sound more exciting and more twangy. Tonality of various guitars is faithfully reproduced.

That is exactly what I've been looking for. I've heard those descriptions time after time. It just is that good, eh? ;D

Time to update siggie? ;)