Thinking about getting an L3000...

deepak

• Replies 420
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the L3000s and the K1000s are the only phones i've heard that are in the same league as the HP1000 in that regard. funny how the great timbre phones all have *000 in the name.

And then there are the headphones that are well know for their horrible timbre:

Sony MDR-SA5000

Grado GS-1000 (at least to my ears)

:angel::D

• 2 weeks later...

This question is specifically directed at Iron Dreamer, but if anyone else would like to answer, I would be appreciative!

How do the W11JPN and L3000 differ bass wise?

The W11jpn isn't at all weak in the bass department, but the L3000 has significantly more power, depth, speed, and texture to it. It's a pretty substantial difference IMO, and contributes to the greater sense of lifelike dynamics in the L3000. Also, I did have some strange issue with the W11jpn where I found it fatiguing to listen to at times...like there was some sort of spike in the upper mids/lower treble. The L3000 is utterly smooth, refined, and non-fatiguing across the spectrum. But then you all know I'm an L3000 fanboy so take my opinions with a grain :D

edit: 15 pages of posts, I believe I have created the longest thread in the headphone section 8)

are you kidding me? I just made the first worthwhile contribution to this heretofore worthwhile thread, in the form of a thought provoking inquiry. ;)

thanks for your impressions, mulveling.

I agree with Mulveling about the bass. The L3000's goes lower, hits harder, and eeks out a bit more detail to boot. I never found the W11JPN fatiguing as he did though. It did sound midrange-centric, whereas the L3000 has a bit more emphasis on both bass an treble comparatively speaking.

Not only that but the L3000 is more refined and has more resolution and precise imaging. The presentation is warmer than the W11JPN and as well as more liquid.

This is really good to hear, because to be honest with you, I have not been very impressed with the W11JPN's resolution. While the sound signature is certainly to my liking, the soundstage is a bit hazy. So I was hoping someone would chime in and say the L3000 is more revealing.

The W5000 may have that wonky midrange, but the level of detail and instrument clarity is wonderful, so this weekend I've actually found myself listening to it more then the W11JPN.

What is a W11JPN? It sounds like a name for a wireless router

Justin,

The W11JPN is the predecessor of the W2002 and L3000. It was released in 1998 as a limited run of 800. The lacquer finished is the same as the W2002's but darker. The size of earcups are also smaller than the W2002, W5000, L3000, and W1000. They sounds great and are very difficult to come by. Here is the pic of my old W11JPN, which is now belong to Agile_one.

IMG_6300.jpg