Thinking about getting an L3000...

deepak

• Replies 420
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder if they had a fountain pen war on that forum

It all started when someone posted pictures of the inside of a Conrad-Shiffler-Stewartsharp pen

FWIW, FPN was started as a reactionary forum to Pentrace. :) Mainly to have a board with better software (pentrace uses the stripped down audio asylum type software), but also in hopes of starting a nicer community.

There are a few shit-stirrers who like to start threads in the OT forum about politics or gun control or some stupid shit that never works out in an internet forum, but things are usually civil in the pen forums.

What's wrong with pencils? :P

There really is something very cool about writing with a fountain pen. Most of us are so used to ballpoints, which require lots of pressure to jam that ink down in the paper. With a properly tuned fountain pen, almost zero pressure is needed. The nib just makes contact with the paper, and ink flows through the feed and down the tines and onto the paper.

Beyond the writing experience is of course the asthetic value of certain pens.

why?

Charlie has been a having hard time trying to get his amplifier back from Mikhail and seems infuriated about it.

He sent his amp in for upgrades six months ago but nothing has been done yet.

The L3000's are great. Just don't buy an amp from singlepower.

I don't plan to. A few reports of people having amps without black backgrounds has me at bay as well.

No worries I have the Melos (surfboardz reported good results with this amp) and planning on a Millet MAX.

Charlie has been a having hard time trying to get his amplifier back from Mikhail and seems infuriated about it.

He sent his amp in for upgrades six months ago but nothing has been done yet.

six months--no shit--no exaggeration? If so, that's completely unprofessional and utter BS. What's the reason--everyone's get a reason--so what's Mikhail's?

Sorry to hear about this Charlie.

I don't plan to. A few reports of people having amps without black backgrounds has me at bay as well.

No worries I have the Melos (surfboardz reported good results with this amp) and planning on a Millet MAX.

The L3000s are sick. They pick up everything. I guess with new tubes it's been great--spots the duds right away. The HD650s are oblivious. I've had the GS-1000s, RS-1s, SR-225s, and the A900s but nothing matches the sensitivity of the L3000s. I sampled the L3000s on many many amps and on most I could detect a minor background noise or even worse. I am very lucky my EC2A3 is very quiet and probably the quietest tube amp I've heard with the L3000s. When I spent the night guarding the equipment at the last SoCal meet I went around to nearly every amp at the studio that intereted me so I should know. In fact, I wouldn't have bought the L3000s if my amp didn't seem dead silent with them.

Well I PM'ed a few members, and some of them were experiencing it with high imp cans like the HD600.

When I say black background I mean playing music through your CDP and having the amp dial at 0 you shouldn't hear anything (as well as hiss). Some of them said with the pot turned all the way down sound was leaking through. Not good. I don't really want to have to deal with that then have to send it back, wait, etc.

Some of them said with the pot turned all the way down sound was leaking through. Not good. I don't really want to have to deal with that then have to send it back, wait, etc.

My PPX3 does this, but I always considered it a non-issue. But now that someone on the internet has told me otherwise, I'm going to get totally neurotic over it. :mikey2:;)

well, I've been hesitant to post this--but I recently received this pen as a gift. I am afraid to take it out of the house.

KR_precious_sterling_rb.jpg

Krone Precious Metals Collection - Sterling Roller (pic doesn't do it justice--it's classy in an understated old-school vintage way)

well, I've been hesitant to post this--but I recently received this pen as a gift. I am afraid to take it out of the house.

KR_precious_sterling_rb.jpg

Krone Precious Metals Collection - Sterling Roller (pic doesn't do it justice--it's classy in an understated old-school vintage way)

Great looking pen. I admit I am a sucker for sterling. :o

Still it looks like there is a problem with the writing end there. Where is the nib? ;)

Getting one of these leatherheads is a bit tricky. On the last one I PM'ed the guy (an hour after it went up) and it was gone. Ah if only I put my WTB up a few days earlier :mikey2:

Do you guys think it's worth putting up a WTB on Audiogon? I did it twice in the past when it was free for the AKG K1000 and didn't get a single response.

When I looked for the leatherheads only one pair showed up on Audiogon. And from that point on I regularly peruse the listings there and have not seen another. I've only seen one pair on eBay about 18 months ago. Yet there have been at least a handful exchange hands, if not more, on Head-Fi. So, IMO, you're best bet is Head-Fi or here. If not for Iron_Dreamer sending a reserve pm on my behalf, I doubt I would have scored my pair. I'll keep an eye out, and if one pops up I'll try to reserve them for you. Fingers Crossed!