Watches

Dusty Chalk

While I'm liking that Reverso Grande Ultra thin, I've come to the conclusion I prefer the JLC Master Ultra thin, and if the one I had, had had a black leather strap, I'd have never swapped it for that Reverso, my biggest regret though was getting that JLC SS bracelet for that Master, I should've got a JLC black leather strap with a deployant clasp.

Now my dream watch is a JLC Master Ultra thin Jubilee, whereas my youngest brother very much likes that type of Reverso I now have, and I did promise to get him that model of Reverso, so I've decided to give him that Reverso and start saving for a JLC Jubilee, I'm also now not going to bother getting a Reverso Tribute 1931.

Two photos of my dream watch.

IMG_3115.thumb.PNG.1e990f7f0e4c81f140663dbe137f236a.PNGIMG_3116.thumb.PNG.a8e4bd21289474a2b132aa286e718a7d.PNG

Edited by Dave R

Because that JLC Master Jubilee at £11,650 is going to take me sometime saving for, I've decided not to give my brother that Reverso until I have that Jubilee, I just wish that Jubilee was available in a stainless steel case, which would then probably be priced at 5 or £6000.

For me the thinner the watch the better, and the Master Jubilee at 4.5mm is quite thin.

Edited by Dave R

4 hours ago, Rossliew said:

Dave, perhaps you can sell me your BHSE and that'd quicken up your savings for the JLC :)

I might just do that ?, joking aside I'd never sell my BHSE.

As well as the Jubilee, I also like the Master Ultra thin 41, but it's an Automatic and I prefer Manual wind, having said that, I do play snooker and 8 ball pool regularly, and I'm left handed, so wearing that Automatic while playing those two game would be winding it up, don't know if it'd do any damage to the watch doing that though, but I can make enquiries. ?

IMG_3120.thumb.PNG.18d559139041c22c0598daf191443c0d.PNG

Edited by Dave R

1 hour ago, Rossliew said:

Hahahaha...thought so, Dave.

All i can do is drool at the watches as i could never afford them. I could however, afford a Rolex Explorer II but that'd mean giving up on some other audio gear ;)

The Rolex Explorer ll is a nice looking watch Rossliew, but there's something about JLC's that just appeal to me. ?

On 04/11/2017 at 8:00 AM, Torpedo said:

That Rolex is particularly versatile, you can wear it with a serious elegant suit and also in a T-shirt with jeans while washing the car and not looking out of place. Elegant thin watches aren't very versatile, specially if you're going to do some sporty activity.

I was only thinking of getting a Rolex to wear while playing snooker, pool and also darts, and a JLC for any other time ( pardon the pun ), but because I prefer Manual wind and thin case watches I'll just go for that kind.

Now I've mentioned my dream watch being a JLC Master Ultra thin Jubilee, but another that would be a dream to have is an A. Lange & Sohne Saxonia.

• 1 month later...

My uncle contacted me out of the blue, this week.  Apparently, in the mid-60s, my father owned a Universal Geneve, which he traded to his younger brother (my uncle, and the only one of five siblings still living) for something that my uncle can't remember, after my dad bought the GMT Master. My uncle wore the watch for years, but stuck it in a drawer after buying his first Rolex in the early 80s. He apparently recently found the watch in said drawer, going through things after finally retiring, and is sending it to me. I assume it's a Polerouter, of some kind, but I really have no idea. I'll report back when I have it, which should be next week.  I'm sure it will need a full service. I'm excited.

• Like 5

Decided to get that JLC Master Ultra thin seen in two of the photos, and I've given that Reverso I had to my Brother.

That Master is only 34mm, but doesn't look bad on my wrist, so I'm happy with it until I've the money saved for an A Lange & Sohne Saxonia 37mm seen in the other photo.

IMG_3273.thumb.PNG.82dfaccb333caf5f9884d8f4e98e4348.PNGIMG_3272.thumb.PNG.eeb6a7afa6c4db0bf4138aa728dd8acf.PNGIMG_3290.thumb.PNG.f6454a4eccbfa5344ab19bf20a12f798.PNG

• Like 2

I found myself with a fairly large, non-transferable, credit, and a coupon, after a price adjustment on an engagement ring, so I bought the current limited edition Bulova Lunar. I've never owned a black watch, and it's a bit large, but I like the look and the features, so I'm hoping this will make a good weekend watch.

Edited by EdipisReks1

5 hours ago, EdipisReks1 said:

I found myself with a fairly large, non-transferable, credit, and a coupon, after a price adjustment on an engagement ring, so I bought the current limited edition Bulova Lunar. I've never owned a black watch, and it's a bit large, but I like the look and the features, so I'm hoping this will make a good weekend watch.

I like that Bulova, one of the all black designs I'd wear, but at 45mm is too large for my wrist. However the steel metallic model on the video looks even better to me.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Torpedo said:

I like that Bulova, one of the all black designs I'd wear, but at 45mm is too large for my wrist. However the steel metallic model on the video looks even better to me.

45mm may well be too large for mine, too, but it apparently wears smaller than its size. Unfortunately, the stainless one wasn't available. 

Well, I figured out the problem with the Bulova.  

I haven't owned many quartz watches, and I initially didn't realize that there was a spacer under the crown to keep the watch from running.  The Movado Museum 70th anniversary I bought for my wife didn't have this spacer, so I didn't expect it, and I couldn’t see it until I turned the watch over. Apparently this high-amplitude movement burns through batteries, so it makes sense that Bulova adds the spacer.  Anyway, if you activate the chrono while the crown is extended, the chrono seconds hand will move a tick, and if you hit the chromo-reset, the split-seconds counter will as well.  So, if you try to use the chrono function with the crown pulled out, you end up with a watch that doesn't reset to noon.  I had done that a few times before I turned the watch over and noticed the spacer.  

Resetting the movement just required pulling the crown out and pushing the chrono start pusher 250 or so times, to reset the main chrono seconds hand, and the chrono-reset pusher a couple dozen, to reset the running split-seconds dial.  Not the end of the world, once I realized what had happened, and it's kind of nice that there is a way to adjust the hands, as I can certainly foresee an imbalance happening, over time, with a 262khz movement. I haven't read the manual yet, maybe this is even mentioned as a feature. The hour counter, fortunately, syncs straight to 0 upon chrono reset: that would be a real pain in the ass, if it didn't, as it would take pressing a button that would take approximately 16,000 times, otherwise.  

The seconds sub-dial ticks (though at about three times the rate of a standard quartz), but the split-seconds and the chrono-seconds sweep more smoothly than any mechanical watch I've owned.  When reset, the split-seconds and the chrono-seconds sweep through, instead of just going right back to noon, which is kinda cool.  Dial legibility is very good. The lume is excellent, picking up a charge very quickly, and glows quite brightly. The lume is slightly tan, which avoids the overly dark brown "aged" luminova that is popular with reissue watches.  I'm sure the lume will retain charge for a reasonable amount of time. The dial is very well printed, and the hands are uniformly painted and reach their respective chapter-rings, as they should.

Anyway, on the wrist, I really rather like it.  It's very different from my other watches, but in a good way.  It feels quite substantial, but comfortable. It's larger than my Speedy, but about the same thickness.  The strap is very supple and comfortable, but isn't really a NATO strap.  My guess is that I'll stick this on a real NATO, at some point.  I have a knock-off Omega-style black with two-gray stripes, and black furniture, which would look quite nice. The case finishing is very uniform, and the curves are nicely radiused, which helps make the watch wear smaller than it is.  The lugs being short, the tachymeter ( which is under the sapphire) being about the same diameter as a Speedy's and the fairly tight fit of the strap to the body also helps it wear smaller. I think the finish will look good with some "brassing."  All-in-all, now that I have it resetting correctly, I'm quite happy, especially since I was able to get it for essentially free.  My only real complaint, other than the NATO not being a real NATO, is the edge on the sapphire. 

IMG_1859.JPG

IMG_1860.JPG

Edited by EdipisReks1
  • Like 1