What are you EATING right now?

JBLoudG20

I'm not eating it yet, but I just made some hors d'oeuvres to take to friends for game night.

I'm not sure if it's an actual dish, I just thought it up while in the shower. It consist of grilled, sliced polenta, topped with prosciutto then a dollop of diced tomatoes and basil in EVOO and balsamic vinegar, a dash of fresh ground Black pepper and finally covered with provolone melted under the broiler just until soft.

Tater Tot Hotdish! This is, of course, a variety of shepard's pie, and in my latest iteration has browned ground chuck and lamb together with sauteed sliced mushroums, minced garlic, chopped onion, minced carrots, chopped tomatoes and Herbes de Provence, covered with a layer of healthy recipe cream of mushroom soup, and onion tater tots. For the last twenty minutes of bake time, shredded New York sharp cheddar and a dusting of smoked Spanish paprika were added.

4103164204_db32248100_b.jpg

The served plated with steamed dressed broccoli and a glass of cab:

4103165030_40509930f0_b.jpg

A self-posed SWMBO demoes her favorite TTHD accompaniment:

4103166100_87eef8db75_b.jpg

And the spaniels' (after a rugged afternoon of sniffing around the kitchen and floor-patroling) scored too. :D

That looks GOOD!

Tater Tot Hotdish! This is, of course, a variety of shepard's pie, and in my latest iteration has browned ground chuck and lamb together with sauteed sliced mushroums, minced garlic, chopped onion, minced carrots, chopped tomatoes and Herbes de Provence, covered with a layer of healthy recipe cream of mushroom soup, and onion tater tots. For the last twenty minutes of bake time, shredded New York sharp cheddar and a dusting of smoked Spanish paprika were added.

4103164204_db32248100_b.jpg

The served plated with steamed dressed broccoli and a glass of cab:

4103165030_40509930f0_b.jpg

A self-posed SWMBO demoes her favorite TTHD accompaniment:

4103166100_87eef8db75_b.jpg

And the spaniels' (after a rugged afternoon of sniffing around the kitchen and floor-patroling) scored too. :D

Had this idea for a fritata a couple of days ago. Finely divide some Tater Tot Hot Dish casserole and use it to substantiate an eggbeaters seasoned fritata. The fritata on stovetop before going into the oven to finish:

4123582648_a2032a6ba1_b.jpg

The served plate with steamed dressed seasoned brocolli:

4122813577_12730fff1f_b.jpg

It was a hit. :) Make sure you don't "quote" the pix, friends, there are the "sensitive" among us. :o

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday project was the annual "turkey leave overs disposal big pot" (a/k/a stopping myself from munching on the leftover turkey) and this year's is white turkey chili.

After rinsing, picking and soaking a pound of great northern benas and half a pound of garbonzoes overnight, they were cooked at simmer until al dente and then drained in a collander. Mixed up an appropriate batch of Emeril's Southwestern Essence sans salt and pepper, which I tend to add individually at different cooking stages. The SW Essence was spiked with dry chipotle, dried habernero, cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg. Two big sweet yellow onions got sauteed with two seeded jallapenoes and one hot red pepper in my deep 5 qt sautee pan untile soft and then added minced garlic for a couple of minutes before introducing 3.75# of fresh ground turkey and the SW Essence with a good shot of worchestershire sauce and stirring until just browned beofre adding the 2# of chunk leftover white and dark meat turkey.

You don't need to deglaze a nonstick skillet, but I did anyway with several ounces of vintage balsamic vinegar before transferring all to my twelve quart stock pot. Added three quarts of organic chicken stock, seven cans of Ro-Tel minced tomatoes and peppers undrained, two small cans of minced green peppers undrained, and a cup of fresh chopped cilantro stems to get about the right ratio and texture. Brought to a boil and simmered for half and hour before adding the cooked beans and garbonzoes and half a cup of fresh chopped cilantro leaf. After fifteen minutes, added a pint of heavy cream and it was pretty much ready to serve and garnish. The served plate:

4163129854_684a35bd08_b.jpg

Garnish is a dollop of non-fat sour cream and some rough chopped cilantro leaf. Too short on time to make accompanying cornbread: next time (as there are eight quarts to freeze). Glass of cab on the side. SWMBO had two bowls. Spaniels scored some leftover turkey during prep, but no chili due to the Rose's food allergies. They had to be content doing the floor patrol. :D