Tweaks that shouldn't work, but do

aerius

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Those things are fricken huge (unless than meant inches ", instead of feet ')

Sweet, I just noticed I passed the magic 1500! ;D

woah, I thought they meant inches! but ' usually means feet. I guess I could buy some and stand on them while I'm rocking out.

grats on golden god status! :) DIY is king. :)

I just don't see how any of that vibration isolation stuff could possibly work with non tube gear or gear with no moving parts. Especially to the levels people claim (like how a rack is the biggest single improvement they've ever heard in their system). Though at least some of the stuff has some kind of science behind it, whereas all those wood blocks seem absurd to me.

I just don't see how any of that vibration isolation stuff could possibly work with non tube gear or gear with no moving parts. Especially to the levels people claim (like how a rack is the biggest single improvement they've ever heard in their system). Though at least some of the stuff has some kind of science behind it, whereas all those wood blocks seem absurd to me.

I know its not exactly the same thing, but I at least started understanding the effect that objects outside a digital source could have on sound when I temporarily had to place my monitor on my CDP. It definitely changed the sound for the worse. So especially with a unit like mine, which does not have a 75lb "audiophile grade" chassis. Plus it do have some tubes in it, werd, stuck right in teh back ther. 2 of em.

I know its not exactly the same thing, but I at least started understanding the effect that objects outside a digital source could have on sound when I temporarily had to place my monitor on my CDP. It definitely changed the sound for the worse. So especially with a unit like mine, which does not have a 75lb "audiophile grade" chassis. Plus it do have some tubes in it, werd, stuck right in teh back ther. 2 of em.

But at least that, like, makes sense! There are tubes and moving parts, plus your monitor could have been giving off emi or something.

I have no doubt that that stuff reduces vibration, I just don't see how that will help the sound, especially dramatically. The only reasoning I've heard is something like "microvibrations cause components to resonate, making the impedence change", which I find kind of hard to believe.

Well, think about it -- current induces magnetic fields which are orthogonal to the direction of the current; jiggling current (jiggling is orthogonal to current) causes current in new and wonderful directions (now back to in the same direction as current and/or perpendicular -- it's kind of like measuring turbulence)...hence, noise/hash/distortion.

But the question is, just how much vibration is needed to actually cause noise or distortion? Is it microvibrations in the air, or an earthquake? :P

I would like to try one of those crazy expensive vibration isolator things one day, and see if it works for myself. But til then I'm stuck wondering I guess..

But the question is, just how much vibration is needed to actually cause noise or distortion? Is it microvibrations in the air, or an earthquake? :P
It's not a matter of whether or not, but how much.
I would like to try one of those crazy expensive vibration isolator things one day, and see if it works for myself.
Yes, you do.

You've heard about Steve Hoffman's cutting table, haven't you? It actually has a separate foundation. Foundation, as in the concrete floor is physically separate from the rest of the building. That's hardcore.

• 2 months later...