Denon 3930CI on Audiogon

DigiPete

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would wager a guess that the new Oppo 980 outperforms that DVD player in every way.

Of course I could be wrong...but I doubt it.

Yeah I'm gonna disagree with that, the Realta chip used in the Denon is the best single chip upsampling/processing chip available now. Plus the linear power supply and dual dac's would make a big difference when it comes to sonics.

You know what's funny. yesterday I made a post in pez's thread. he was deciding between the ER4 and a SF5. One guy came in and said to wait for the unreleased Jay's IEM, because it was exactly what he wanted. I asked him if he had heard it. He replied no. I then told him his post was invalid, and called him out for recommending a product that he not only hadn't heard, but isn't even out yet. Guess what? Yep, the head-fi mods deleted my post. It wasn't even that rude, I simply stated 'how can you say that, you haven't heard it.'

Gentlemen:

Sorry for stirring you guys up! And you are correct that I have not heard the Oppo yet, but the fact remains that I was not blown away by the Denon when I heard it...it sounded like every other SACD player I have heard recently...Will the Oppo sound better? Probably not, but it won't sound worse...at least not in a double blind test. (are we allowed to talk about THAT in here?)

Was not talking about the video section because I could give two shits...sorry for not clarifying that...but I will say that the video section of the Oppo is no slouch.

As to crappy posts and post padding and what-not...We're not gonna have that sort of college-kid whiny-trash floating around here are we? I thought we left those beefs behind at Head Fi! Do you guys really care about your post counts that much? ("his 20+ posts IN ONE DAY") LOL!

Do you guys give reach-arounds?

Gentlemen:

Sorry for stirring you guys up! And you are correct that I have not heard the Oppo yet, but the fact remains that I was not blown away by the Denon when I heard it...it sounded like every other SACD player I have heard recently...Will the Oppo sound better? Probably not, but it won't sound worse...at least not in a double blind test. (are we allowed to talk about THAT in here?)

See, this is what pisses me off, along with a lot of other people here on Head-case. You haven't heard the damn thing and yet you stilll claim to know what it'll sound like. That's just bullshit, especially since this is a CD player where you don't even have the specs & schematics for either one of them to make an educated guess. Do you know what DAC chips they use? Filter algorithms? The analog output circuitry? If you answered "no" to any of the above, and you haven't even heard damn thing, you do not have a basis for making any judgements on its sound beyond "I don't know".

See, this is what pisses me off, along with a lot of other people here on Head-case. You haven't heard the damn thing and yet you stilll claim to know what it'll sound like. That's just bullshit, especially since this is a CD player where you don't even have the specs & schematics for either one of them to make an educated guess. Do you know what DAC chips they use? Filter algorithms? The analog output circuitry? If you answered "no" to any of the above, and you haven't even heard damn thing, you do not have a basis for making any judgements on its sound beyond "I don't know".

Where did I claim that it sounded better? I said I'd wager a guess.

Where did I claim that it sounded better? I said I'd wager a guess.

You said "it won't sound worse" and cited a double blind test. You decided WITHOUT EVEN HEARING IT, that if anyone thought it sounded worst, it was because of placebo effect. In other words, you're a pompous fuckbag dipshit who thinks he knows better than anyone else how things are.

i've heard both stock, but not back-to-back and can't comment on SACDs since I only heard redbook on the oppo. i could be happy with the 3930 and the oppo i couldn't. the Denon is far superior in that if offers resolution, refinement, smoothness (in a good way), and PRAT. The oppo looks like it performs thin, shiny and bright--in a nut shell digital harshness overload, yet my experience with it is limited to redbooks.

Wolfbait, perhaps you were mislead by the jocular mode of conversation as to what kind of place this is. The reason why most of us post the way we do is we have a reasonably long history with one another, and as such, know the background from which we each are posting. As someone who only arrived yesterday, with no apparent history at all, you start spouting nonsense and interjecting into conversation to which you weren't a party. This wouldn't work in a face to face social setting, and it doesn't really work here. If you stick around long enough for us to get some idea of from where it is you're coming, you may be able to toss off comments like that unchallenged. Until then, perhaps you'd be happier at hydrogenaudio.com or head-fi.org?

Wolfbait, perhaps you were mislead by the jocular mode of conversation as to what kind of place this is. The reason why most of us post the way we do is we have a reasonably long history with one another, and as such, know the background from which we each are posting. As someone who only arrived yesterday, with no apparent history at all, you start spouting nonsense and interjecting into conversation to which you weren't a party. This wouldn't work in a face to face social setting, and it doesn't really work here. If you stick around long enough for us to get some idea of from where it is you're coming, you may be able to toss off comments like that unchallenged. Until then, perhaps you'd be happier at hydrogenaudio.com or head-fi.org?

grawk, I dont mind being challenged...I find it rather invigorating...On head fi, my posts are sometimes just deleted...I much prefer the lively exchanges here.

cheers!