Team Audio-Technica Unite!

Elephas

Elephas,

Just curious what amps are you using with your ATs, or which do you find optimal - especially with your L3000 and W5000?

I will add my 2 cents. I use my DHA3000 with both headphones before with excellent results. My SDS-SE works even better than the DHA3000 with the L3000.

• Replies 501
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My Stash:

Main: 0404USB (SPDIF feed) --> DHA3000 --> L3000/W5000

Other: DAC1USB --> Lisa IIIXP/LLP --> HD650-RAL Cryo/K271S-RAL Cryo

Your DHA-3000 is one special amp for those ATs. The DHA3000 alone is superior to Singleower MPX3 if not on the same level as a Singlepower Supra at driving the L3000. What do you think of your combo? The DAC inside the DHA3000 is pretty nice and probably on par with the DAC inside of my Sony SCD-1 when playing redbook. I also have the HA2002 which is very similar to the HA5000 and the L3000 out of my DHA3000 is a level or two above my HA2002+Sony SCD-1 + L3000.

I had a stock DHA3000 with L3000 and liked it fine. It was a noticeable step up from the HA5000 I used to use to drive it. More dynamics, detail, tonal balance and an altogether better match. The volume on my unit only seemed to operate in 'steps' and I found that occassionally it would either be too loud or not loud enough.

Also, I still liked to dial in a bit of extra treble as I felt the L3000 was still missing a little bit in this area after hearing the Sony R10. The tone controls are quite subtle in the DHA3000 and I felt they were good for adjusting the sound to your taste without altering it too much.

I've since moved on to using the SinglePower Extreme Platinum and I feel that this amp shows another aspect to the L3000. It does require more careful component matching to sound optimal, as opposed to the all-in-one the DHA3000 provides. However, for me the extra effort is worth it. Somehow the midrange/upper midrange is considerably boosted and it does sound a bit weird. But very pleasant.

I've since moved on to using the SinglePower Extreme Platinum and I feel that this amp shows another aspect to the L3000. It does require more careful component matching to sound optimal, as opposed to the all-in-one the DHA3000 provides. However, for me the extra effort is worth it. Somehow the midrange/upper midrange is considerably boosted and it does sound a bit weird. But very pleasant.

Are you saying that the SP Extreme Platinum sounds "a bit weird?"

Interesting...but I am glad after paying so much you are really enjoying it.

But you have more highend headphones than anyone!!!! :laugh:

Now that I think about it, Elephas is indeed the king of headphones now. :dance:

At least you don't have that one that sounds "a bit weird" yet. You can't say yours is worst than mine...no you can't; but if you do then I will not fight you for it.

No, the Raptor does indeed sound "a bit weird". ;)

Rofl as opposed to your RSA's. :thumbsup:

Wait, are you saying slwiser has RSA amps?

Yep..he is. But to be a real king of headphones, he needs to obtain the ATH-L3000G. C'mon, the green L3000 can't be that tough to find. Only 50 ever made....

Oh yeah, that is right. He still has the L3KG and 010 to pick up. :) I almost forgot about that one. *slaps self*

To Purk and Fing:

As to DHA3000 for L3000, I'm extremely pleased with result. Previous to this, I had PS-1 which was amazing...but ultimately I had fit/comfort issues. The DHA3000/L3000 combo gets me back to the jaw-dropping experience I had with the PS-1, with great comfort.

This is digressing from thread topic, but I've found the DHA3000 extremely versatile in long-term usage. I like the fact that it has (subtle) tone control - bass and treble. Philosophically, I think more amp manufacturers should include some form of tone control -- what's wrong with dialing in the 'right' sound with specific headphones? eg, W5000 with bass maxxed on DHA3000 is just right. (Also, my Lisa III XP has a suble bass boost, which is great for certain headphones). Also, have you tried HD650 on DHA3000 with high impedance setting? With a little treble and bass tone tweaking, the result is quite amazing! I had acquired the HD650 to diddle around with the Lisa III and/or DAC1USB, but I'm using it a lot out of the DHA3000. Unfortunately the DHA3000 is a niche product with certain limitations, but the paradigm - including tone control - is compelling for other DAC/amp manufacturers to consider.

Yep..he is. But to be a real king of headphones, he needs to obtain the ATH-L3000G. C'mon, the green L3000 can't be that tough to find. Only 50 ever made....

Hey, this isn't some kind of competition. It's craziness and insanity, and purk is definitely crazier than I am.

"King" sounds stupid, anyway. I'll humbly accept "Master of All Head-Case."

I believe Head-Fi member "cwilson" in Hong Kong has the L3000G, he's active on the HK-based Mingo forum. It might look good, but does it sound better than an L3000 w/APureSound V3 cable?

To Purk and Fing:

Wah, go ahead, ignore the rest of us, I'll just go sit by myself in the corner.

I don't think headphone amplifiers should have tone controls. That's what another headphone and another amp is for.

Hey, this isn't some kind of competition. It's craziness and insanity, and purk is definitely crazier than I am.

My headphone collection is half of what you have; therefore, I think your are twice as crazy as I am. Of course, I was pretty crazy about the R10. I used to own three of them but...now down to one.

I think equalization is fine, no matter how it's done. I've never been a purist; anything that makes the music more enjoyable is OK by me. A standalone equalizer seems best, though I've never tried one.

My headphone collection is half of what you have; therefore, I think your are twice as crazy as I am.

My assessment is not only based on headphones, it includes other factors. I say you're crazier, along with Icarium, spritzer, foome and the K1000 crazies, etc. You guys make me feel good about my "relatively reserved" level of craziness. I'm sure most people will agree with me.

Wait, are we arguing about who's crazier on a site called "head-case"?

This is digressing from thread topic, but I've found the DHA3000 extremely versatile in long-term usage. I like the fact that it has (subtle) tone control - bass and treble. Philosophically, I think more amp manufacturers should include some form of tone control -- what's wrong with dialing in the 'right' sound with specific headphones?
Nothing -- just get a standalone equalizer. It shouldn't be built-in to the amplifier, so that the consumer didn't have a choice.