How long 'til the 'fi is operating normally again?

Iron_Dreamer

How long 'til the 'fi is operating normally again?  

1. 1. How long 'til the 'fi is operating normally again?

• <24 hours from now (time of posting)
    • 1-3 days "
    • 3-5 days "
    • 5-10 days "
    • 10 days to 1 month "
    • over 1 month "
    • never

Coming up on the one-week anniversary of the greatest crash since '29 >:D, it seems that many might enjoy a little speculation on long long the rebuilding process might take. Notice the question pertains to when the site might be working again, as normal or prior to the crash (if possible).

I'm really not quite sure myself. I was surprised that problems have persisted as long as the have, until I read about the nitty-gritty going on in serverland, which made me understand the magnitude of the problem. :mikey2:

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This and many similar incidents with other forums highlight just how bad the existing model is - the forum maintainer effectively 'owns' the entire database and if they fuck up or lose interest it's gone forever.

I would much prefer a distributed system, not unlike USENET + some aggregation sites similar to Google news.

I've been debating whether or not i should post this, figured why the hell not.

How fucked is jude. Real mother fucking fucked. His real business where he makes

all of his real money was also tied into that one box, and all of his corporate customers

in particular for example

http://www.whatuseek.com

http://www.changealarm.com

http://www.sitelevel.com

are also down. This is not just a head-fi thing, its jude's core business. If he does not

get that raid set back up, he might as well plan on flipping burgers at McDonalds for the

rest of his life.

Dvse, but with a system like that, he wouldn't be able to slap people with the censor and ban sticks when they say something unfriendly to Head-Fi or its sponsors.

And we need the middleman why? It's possible to have moderated (or even self moderated) subforums if one so wishes. I would not be surprised if one of the large search companies does something similar one day.

Nick, I highly doubt Jude is calling Kevin right now to give him the scoop.

EDIT: Let me rephrase that. There is no way in hell Jude would be telling Kevin anything about this right now. If Kevin has other sources, that's a different matter.

If i get another email or phone call from jude, hell will certainly have frozen over.

I expect that when head-fi comes back i will be banned forever, even though it is specifically

against judes policy which states that what happens outside of head-fi is none of his business.