Tube Amp Recommendation

JimP

Guest sacd lover

I would say at the $1000 mark then yes an Extreme is probably the ticket.

I have heard a number of custom extremes and each, even the ones that are 'thought to be the same' sound different. I have never heard a better extreme than Boomana's I have heard two others that while they sound good they are not in the same class as hers.

Earl raises a valid point on the 6c33b I love this tube but there are 2 potential issues to be aware of:

• The tube is a very limited source tube as they were made in two plants so no real tube rolling for the power section]

• the 6c33b is also a military application tube, my concern is the audio market may be getting seconds, I base this on the high reject rate for many dealers (20%) and the set I had in at the meet the left channel was funky and after I replaced all noise is gone]

with those two caveats I still like the Zana better but it is more of a preference thing. Both amps could take a few weeks to months to obtain. If you get a stock extreme then no worries I would not get many options as I have several friends that have optioned out there amps and have had looooooong wait times and had issues with repairs. I would not want to internationally ship an amp for repairs if it can be avoided. Not all non-stock SP amps have had issues but the rate of repair issues seem to go up as you put more stuff in the box and stray from the original design.

[*]

Being more of a value guy I love the stock Extreme's value. Furthermore, like you pointed out the stock amps dont have as many complicated options that can cause problems. I sent my second Extreme back to get the outboard power supply like Vick's .... and with the wait and cost I am almost wishing I had stayed with the stock amp. The tubes that work with my fav Senn 580/600 and MS2 are completely different in my setup and I could have just dedicated each amp to one headphone. However, I am glad to hear you think the seperate power supply ups the sound quality.

As for the 6c33's .... our buddy Zach is getting a Zana. He did some cables for me recently and asked me to pay him in tubes. I have many of the superb 6su7gty black glass Tung Sols (a super 6sl7gt) already in my possession and all I needed to do was locate a pair of 6c33's.

What a pain, most places that advertised them are out. You cant get the tubes matched by anyone because the quality is so variable. I ordered some from Upscale Tuesday and last night I got an email they cancelled the shipping .... and I dont know what is up with that. Mikhail has about 50 of them from a purchase many years ago so I may contact him. Interestingly, I have bugged him for almost a year to do adapters for the 6c33 and he genuinely seems to be worried about using the tube. Before Mikey01's Zana ever appeared I talked to Mikhail about using the 6c33 but he didnt want to do an amp with one .... but I am not sure why? I know he has used the tube transfomer coupled for power amps.

I do think the way Craig has neutered the tube by running the tube at only 10% of the tubes max plate voltage and dropping the heater voltage to 5.7 volts .... reliability may not be to bad. But, I have to admit I wondered how your particular amp would do with the 6c33's running harder. With all the posts I read over at the asylum about 6c33's imploding I would want transformers in front of mine.

I am at a sort of crossroads with headphones now. I have everything SP multiple times. I bought a Woo 3 and transformer coupled 6, didnt like them, and they are sold. I have tried the transformer coupled Mapletree Ear+ and a custom Ear+ Super and they were good but not good enough and have been sold. I have the Sound Quest SQ-84 and an unknown to most called the Space Tech Lab SE- 6AS7; again both transformer coupled .... which I am probably selling at some point. I have two modded Doge 6210's that are excellent now that they have been repaired and rebuilt I will be keeping for sure. My current project has a MPX3 in the hands of a buddy to be transformer coupled and voiced for MS2's. About the only amps left I dont currently own I find interesting are the EC amps, your amp in particular, especially if the price isnt that much more than a Zana. ;)

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you'd like to get your feet wet with the tube amps, I'll say the earmax pro is a very good start.

I have heard it with all the headphones in your list and it ranges from good to very good match with most of the headphones listed.

pros:

very small size and easy to tube roll.

good example of what tubey amps sound like.

negs:

not as nuanced and resolving as other amps.

could be too tubey-sounding, but that could be remedied by tube rolling.

As for the 6c33's .... our buddy Zach is getting a Zana. He did some cables for me recently and asked me to pay him in tubes. I have many of the superb 6su7gty black glass Tung Sols (a super 6sl7gt) already in my possession and all I needed to do was locate a pair of 6c33's.

What a pain, most places that advertised them are out. You cant get the tubes matched by anyone because the quality is so variable.

Parts Connexion just recently started matching 6C33's and selling matched pairs.

http://www.partsconnexion.com/econnexion/nov07/november_2007.html#6C33C

With all the posts I read over at the asylum about 6c33's imploding I would want transformers in front of mine.

The Zana Deux is capacitor coupled, no? So, same difference, there is something between the tube and your headphones that will hopefully protect them.

Renato

If you'd like to get your feet wet with the tube amps, I'll say the earmax pro is a very good start.

I have heard it with all the headphones in your list and it ranges from good to very good match with most of the headphones listed.

pros:

very small size and easy to tube roll.

good example of what tubey amps sound like.

negs:

not as nuanced and resolving as other amps.

could be too tubey-sounding, but that could be remedied by tube rolling.

Yeah, after reading your 220-240V requirement, I was going to reiterate my EarMax Pro recommendation, as I believe it's built by a German company (Brocksieper). I'd look around to see if I could find a dealer and find out what local prices are.

always figured a MillettMax would go for more than $300...interesting...

If you know the right person the MAX would probably come in around $300, but I think you made the right call with the Lunchbox, I heard the V1 and it's a heck of a little amp and won't temp you to tube roll since there aren't many alternates.

If you know the right person the MAX would probably come in around $300, but I think you made the right call with the Lunchbox, I heard the V1 and it's a heck of a little amp and won't temp you to tube roll since there aren't many alternates.

getting the recommendation from both you and reks definitely means that i'm probably going to enjoy this puppy

i haven't heard the darkvoice, but i bet the lunchbox is better ;)

I heard the a pair of Lunchboxes in a balanced setup and they are very good especially with the Senn HD580s. The balanced HD650s sounded good as well. The lunchboxes with the balanced CAudio dac feeding it and the HD580s balanced are a very very good way to good balanced on somewhat of a budget.

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=554&g2_serialNumber=1&g2_GALLERYSID=8727c36dd03bd9479fbc7641ae27cadd

Balanced Lunchbox setup being feed by the balanced CAudio DAC. The Lunchboxes have a single TSR connection. One handles the R channel. The pigtale is setup so that a four pin XLR out is taking the feed from both of those TSR plugs. The HD580 and HD650s both had balanced cables with a four pin XLR for the pigtale. The pigtale prevents the issue with shorting the TSR plugs. You plug in the TSRs before turning on the amps. Note this is also setting on the 840c that I also heard in this setup which I also has a balanced output.