Correct forum buying/selling etiquette?

jellybones

So, this happened on a different headphone forum to go unamed...

I've been looking pretty hard for an RS1 for a while..And I see one pop up so I immediately shoot the guy a PM saying I definately want them. Explain how hard I've been looking for them and so on. So, he replies with his Paypal address. I shoot him one back saying I'm waiting on a refund to come back into my account and if he would mind waiting for me to send the payment until tomorrow. (This whole time I'm talking to a friend of mine from the same site over AIM..he's been trying to help me find an RS1 also.) So the friend I'm talking to says he'll lend me the money to just pay in full tonight, so the seller doesn't have to wait an extra day. I immediately PM him with that information and he replies "sorry, they've been sold."

So, was I completely wrong here? I thought it was still under discussion..I mean, he sent his Paypal address. Really bums me out, as I've been looking pretty hard for an RS1.

Ah, forgot the other super shitty part..I've had my K340s up for sale..and had someone that wanted to buy them. But I didn't want them to send payment until I found an RS1..so, as soon as he said they're yours and sent me his Paypal info..I sent a Pm to the K340 buyer to go ahead and send the payment. So, now I'm headphoneless. :(

It could've been a tough call to make on part of the seller. My experience on HF is that some people express genuine interest only to subsequently ignore further PMs after I give them my paypal address. It gets annoying very quickly, and it slows things down if you're nice enough to hold the cans for a person who ends up never replying. Nowadays I just say fuck it and sell to first come first serve usually.

I really do feel your pain though; I've been wanting to try out RS-1s for the longest time but in Canada they run for $700 to $800 new. It is very difficult for me to justify those prices. And while I freely sell my own used headphones, I have my own reservations of buying used.

It's the "I definitely want them; been looking for them and so on" that may have compelled him to choose you over other interested parties (I've always tried to be selective to good h-fiers), and then after he's convinced, you asked him to hold onto them. I bet he got cold feet from wondering why you'd been looking for so long, seemed so serious, but did not have the cash to pull the trigger that very instant.

I am typing from personal experience as this same thing happened to me as a seller; ended up waiting for another two weeks for a buyer and missed an item I wanted because I did not have those funds available.

Doesn't change the fact that you missed the cans you wanted, and that part does indeed stink. Reads like you now have the cash just waiting for the next opportunity so are ready to strike. Writing "have funds to send right now" goes a long way with sellers, as missed opportunities from being "nice" stinks just as badly for the seller.

Good luck on the RS1s; they are worth the wait.

It's the "I definitely want them; been looking for them and so on" that may have compelled him to choose you over other interested parties (I've always tried to be selective to good h-fiers), and then after he's convinced, you asked him to hold onto them. I bet he got cold feet from wondering why you'd been looking for so long, seemed so serious, but did not have the cash to pull the trigger that very instant.

I am typing from personal experience as this same thing happened to me as a seller; ended up waiting for another two weeks for a buyer and missed an item I wanted because I did not have those funds available.

Doesn't change the fact that you missed the cans you wanted, and that part does indeed stink. Reads like you now have the cash just waiting for the next opportunity so are ready to strike. Writing "have funds to send right now" goes a long way with sellers, as missed opportunities from being "nice" stinks just as badly for the seller.

Good luck on the RS1s; they are worth the wait.

Dave I saw the feedback you left for the guy on the item (you might) be referring to. He was a bit odd to deal with as well, I was a bit worried about selling to him since it was an expensive item and his communication was less than stellar. In the end he came through.

I usually give buyers the benefit of the doubt, but I've been burned on big ticket items before so I check their feedback first from now on.

As a buyer I try not to put a seller in a position when I can only pay later, and generally only offer to buy something if I have the funds available. Or I'll offer to put down a significant non-refundable down payment.

oh man...come on. the post is totally about headphones..

No it's about a buying experience. Headphones are about headphones; not one particular situation in which headphones were involved.

Once the buyer has sent an "I want it" PM, I give them 48 hours to pay once they have received my paypal email address. If they specifically ask for more, I am happy to accomodate if they are an established member of the community.

So I'd say since the buyer provided you with his paypal, then sold to someone else, that is pretty shitty. If he didn't want to wait after you sent the second PM, he should have written back to you ASAP and told you so.

I'd agree with postjack on this. If you indicated that you were going to buy them doen to requesting paypal info, the seller shouldn't have sold them out from under you, particularly without PM'ing you first to give you right of first refusal. Shitty in my book.

If I don't know any of the potential buyers, and one guy pms me saying "I need to get the money together" and the other guy has the money together, I'd tell the first guy sorry, sold. Even if I'd already sent my paypal info. As a seller, I've been dragged along by buyers enough that cash in hand is a trump card. That said, I'd sell to someone I know who will have money eventually over someone I don't know. Unless cash is short, or the other person is iffy about whether they really want it.

Nothing says "I want this" like "I have a paypal cash balance, and can pay as soon as you confirm"

After being strung along for close to a week with a current sale - I can understand the first one to cough up the cash way of doing things.

If you know them or put down a 20-30% down payment, that's different, but if I don't know you and you want me to hold it, you can bet I'll sell to someone else who pays up - their money is real, yours is still "maybe".

As a seller, I've been dragged along by buyers enough that cash in hand is a trump card.

Interesting. This helps to show that as sellers, our policies our based on our past experience. I have yet to be strung along by a buyer, all my transactions have been handled super quickly. Having said that, I just about always completely ignore lowballers, especially if its Kaslov from Upanisland with zero posts and who offers no outside feedback.

I did just sell my W5000 to a zero post head-fier, but he had extensive audiogon feedback which he presented to me upfront.