Tube Audio Design - TADAC

tyrion

Has anyone heard this DAC? Here is a pic:

08_TADAC.jpg

Here is a link to the website: http://www.tubeaudiodesign.com/

It sells for $1000 with a remote. He offeres a 21 day trial with a $45 restocking fee. It doesn't have a usb input but he says on the site the following:

"USB PC sourced digital audio sounds amazing! Need a small external 24-bit, 96k Sound Blaster USB powered data converter box ~$50 at Office Depot. The TADAC has the best sounding audiophile hardware - the PC data conversion circuitry is not built-in. Best keeping the two separate to unleash the best possible sound. Yahoo! Music from the PC is high resolution - PC audio sounds like CD's using the TADAC."

When I think about the money we spend on gear, getting to try it out for a few weeks for $45 sounds like a decent deal.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Has anyone heard this DAC? Here is a pic:

08_TADAC.jpg

Here is a link to the website: http://www.tubeaudiodesign.com/

It sells for $1000 with a remote. He offeres a 21 day trial with a $45 restocking fee. It doesn't have a usb input but he says on the site the following:

"USB PC sourced digital audio sounds amazing! Need a small external 24-bit, 96k Sound Blaster USB powered data converter box ~$50 at Office Depot. The TADAC has the best sounding audiophile hardware - the PC data conversion circuitry is not built-in. Best keeping the two separate to unleash the best possible sound. Yahoo! Music from the PC is high resolution - PC audio sounds like CD's using the TADAC."

When I think about the money we spend on gear, getting to try it out for a few weeks for $45 sounds like a decent deal.

Haven't heard it, but the tubbyness knob bodes ill :)

I didn't know what to make of that other than it reminded me of the contour knob or whatever it was called on the PPX3 Slam. I have know idea if it's the same. The guy who designed this is pretty well regarded for his amplifiers which included the Cayin TA-30 (I believe he modded them).

What if we ignore the tube dial. Can anyone look at the internal pics and determine if it's a decent design. From my research it looks like the tube dial had been an option in the past.

Got a link to the pics? The only one I found on his site was this:

TADACPG.JPG

And it doesn't show a whole heck of a lot.

That's the one. I had a feeling it didn't provide enough info. Let me see what I can find.

Dan, whether I go for it will depend on whether Plaidplatypus accepts my offer and/or I go for the new O2 rig. If Plaid accepts and I go forward with that deal, I will probably through this on the AMEX. I'm going to email him to see if he will offer without volume control and without the tube dial. I have no use for that.

Anyone have any comment on using that device converter to use usb. That would be my preferred method but I could also go optical from the mac mini. I know, I know, just get it and see if it's good.

I found this on another site, it's an email from the designer:

"He explained that the very highest dollar DAC use discrete components for conversion, reason being is that ALL manufatured DAC chips compress the analog output in order to get ready for the next filtering stage.

He did a couple things different with this TADAC. He uses NO filtering after the BB 1793 DAC, (allowing the tube to handle that) the signal imediately goes into voltage conversion.

Quoting Paul..."They must deliberately must compress out of the DAC chip to allow for enhanced filtering the next stage is supposed to be doing. I only use the next stage to convert differential chip output to single ended and raise the dynamics by raising the voltage gain angle."

I think using discrete conversion would eliminate this compresion effect and give new life to the digital format. Maybe these are things that everyone already knows... but maybe these are secrets of the Zanden sort?

Some other interesting points...

Many DAC that do use discrete conversion then go into the typical filtering arrangement loosing much detail, or do not offer single ended output (or both) thereby loosing even more detail and harmonic richness.

Also even tho the TADAC does use a DAC chip, the one that is used (BB1793) has possibly the lowest jitter of any integrated DAC. Jitter so low that the physicaly larger discrete DAC arrangement may not be able compete with it.

I learned much by just a few emails with him, I wish I could have bent his ear longer.

buzz"

Can I be the first to say I am curious about what the Tubyness knob does?

For those on a tweaking expedition (aren?t we all?) There is a small knob that allows you to adjust how harmonically close you?d like to sit (Called the Tubyness knob). Final tweak the soundstage to match your system and personal taste. Included on all 2008 TADAC's

There's a couple things which ring warning bells, 12AU7 tubes and the fact that they're biased so low that they'll last nearly forever. The 12AU7 isn't a particularly linear tube to begin with (diyAudio members really dislike the damn thing) and running it such that it's barely on is going to make things even worse.

There's a couple things which ring warning bells, 12AU7 tubes and the fact that they're biased so low that they'll last nearly forever. The 12AU7 isn't a particularly linear tube to begin with (diyAudio members really dislike the damn thing) and running it such that it's barely on is going to make things even worse.

While it would be nice to find something for less than half the price of the Wavelength that sounds as good, maybe I am chasing after something that doesn't exist. I still may give it a try as the most I am out is $45 plus shipping back to him.

Jp is in a holding pattern at the moment. Although, if you really want it, I can't probably convince him that he must upgrade. >:D

Damnit, don't tempt me. I need a new car before a tt...but then again...my current ugly has run exceptionally well for 11 years...

Do you want his car too? Just let me know. You're not buying a car. You've been talking about this since I met you. There is a couple of nice tt on Audiogon that you can get for under $2000. You know you want one. >:D